Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #1

Pentax K100D Super rhymically vibrating every second on long exposures...

I've had my pentax k100D super since 2008, bought it brand new. Today I was trying to do some long exposures and the camera was rhymically ticking/vibrating about every second. I changed the lenses, turned it on and off, switched from manual to auto focus, turned shake reduction on and off... nothing. I actually ended up accidently banging it AFTER it was doing this and it got slightly better. As far as I know the camera hasn't been dropped, theres no damage to it besides very small cosmetic things.

I am TOTALLY baffled. It doesn't do it at all during short exposures. I probably wont fix it since its such an old camera and its still a good extra extra backup to have at a wedding since I wouldnt be doing long exposures at one anyways

08-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this the same noise that occurs when you clean the sensor?
08-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
IIRC my K100D did the same thing when SR was on. Try turning the SR switch off and see if it makes a difference.
08-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
I turned the SR on and off MANY times... and no its not the same noise... its more like a clicking. I've never had to clean the sensor (like open it up and actually clean it) not at least on this camera but I don't remember that noise being similar to this...

08-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Perhaps there is a language barrier here - I didn't ask you to turn SR on and off, I said turn it off to see if the noise persists. (ie. turn SR off, take a long exposure, listen for the noise.)

If you've done this and the problem persists, then you can be confident it's not related to the SR system. Try taking a long exposure without a lens (a remote shutter release will help here), and look inside the body to see if there's anything moving inside the camera.

Finally, how are the images? If there is no loss in image quality, and no defects, I wouldn't worry about it.
08-25-2011, 03:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
Oh yes I did try taking it with the SR on and off. But I'll try it without a lens to see if something is stuck inside or lose.

The images obviously don't come out when on long exposure, they come out with camera shake because of the clicking/vibrating. But on a shutter speed above 2 seconds, the image quality and everything else seems to be working normally.

I checked the shutter actuations on it (I thought it was higher) and its only at 23k
08-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Senseriffic Quote
I've had my pentax k100D super since 2008, bought it brand new. Today I was trying to do some long exposures and the camera was rhymically ticking/vibrating about every second. I changed the lenses, turned it on and off, switched from manual to auto focus, turned shake reduction on and off... nothing. I actually ended up accidently banging it AFTER it was doing this and it got slightly better. As far as I know the camera hasn't been dropped, theres no damage to it besides very small cosmetic things.

I am TOTALLY baffled. It doesn't do it at all during short exposures. I probably wont fix it since its such an old camera and its still a good extra extra backup to have at a wedding since I wouldnt be doing long exposures at one anyways
Well, how did those original long exposures turn out? Were they blurred or just "fine"? And, if you try a "long exposure" the camera in your hand, would you actually feel any ever so sligth vibration in the body.

My (limited) experience is that old electrical apparatus can be a bit more noisy than when new. My K200D sometimes make a slght hissing sound during long exposures, but imáges are still perfect, (or, as perfect as the photographer behind the camera allows).
09-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
Always came out great before, and of course used a tripod. You can HEAR the vibrations/clicking. its very loud and noticeable. I still havent figured it out yet