Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

[article] Photo Editing for Beginners

Your vacation in a new light: photo editing for beginners - Monsters and Critics

QuoteQuote:
Every digital camera comes with a variety of automatic functions - but that still doesn't guarantee perfection with every picture.

They can come out blurry, with the horizon at a tilt, the children's eyes red or the summit peak out of focus - any of which can be particularly annoying when you're going through your snapshots after a vacation.

But there are free programmes out there that offer help to beginners and let some of these snaps avoid the recycling bin. Automatic functions in these programmes can be the biggest boon to beginners when it comes to photo manipulation.
This looks like a useful introduction to easy editing warez.

08-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty good article, although not very in-depth. I was glad to see Gimp mentioned, Gimp is an excellent editor although I rarely use it. I was disappointed to not see Irfan View mentioned, I use it almost exclusively. Gimp is reserved for the few times I get a great shot that needs something Irfan View can't handle.

Then again I use post processing as sparingly as possible. Normally I do some minor adjusting of contrast and saturation, and try to brighten or darken over and underexposed shots a little. Very infrequently a bit of sharpening. I'd say 90% of my shots posted here have no editing other than the contrast pushed around 20%, 1 out of every 30 or 40 get a bit of sharpening, a few here and there some saturation adjustment (usually reduced). So Irfan View handles 99% of my editing nicely and it's easy to use, light, fast and well laid out. I think it would have been a very good addition to this article.

No, I don't work for Irfan View...