Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

choosing a DSLR that will make full use of my old lenses

I am moveing to Digital on a very tight budget. I am thinking of a second hand K100D or *ist.
Before taking the plunge I need to know that I can make full use of my old lenses.
will my M series still work on aperture and shutter priority modes.
will my A series still work on programmed automatic.
will my Kaf autofocus still be capeable of auto focus?
regards
Chris

08-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The answer is yes!

Just bought a K100D Super for 80 euro and expecting it on monday/tuesday with the mail. Have fun with it.
08-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This camera does:
QuoteQuote:
for M series lenses????????????

The A lenses will fully function as manual focus.
08-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Actually, M lenses won't work in Av or Tv mode, only M with stop down metering.

08-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
M would work in Av mode, no? It just opens it to the max aperture and runs from there. You just can't use any aperture than wide open.
08-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you can find a K100D Super, then that would be better.
Almost the same price as a K100D or just a small price difference.
At least when you do plan to buy lenses with SDM or HSM, these would still be supported by the K100D Super unlike with the K100D.
08-21-2011, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thehorologist Quote
I am moveing to Digital on a very tight budget. I am thinking of a second hand K100D or *ist.
Before taking the plunge I need to know that I can make full use of my old lenses.
Those lenses only work in M mode, and only with stop-down metering. That means setting an aperture on the lens, then pushing a button that stops down the lens and suggests a shutter speed. In other modes the lens will always be wide open. For SR, you'll need to enter the lens focal length. The onboard flash will always fire at full power. No aperture information is recorded in EXIF. The center AF sensor is active and will show you when the camera thinks you're in focus.

QuoteQuote:
These lenses only have a couple of limitations. For SR, you'll need to enter the lens focal length (a little annoying for zooms). The center AF sensor is active and will show you when the camera thinks you're in focus. EXIF will show the focal length entered for SR. Everything else works.

QuoteQuote:
Those have no limitations.

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
If you can find a K100D Super, then that would be better.
Almost the same price as a K100D or just a small price difference.
At least when you do plan to buy lenses with SDM or HSM, these would still be supported by the K100D Super unlike with the K100D.
With the K100D, you get SR, and that's very useful. I think that's important enough to ignore the *ist series. If you have a nice TTL flash like the AF500 FTZ, and intend to take a ton of flash photos, you might consider the *ist D, DS or DS2, but that would be the only excuse to give up SR. A TTL flash will not work well on anything but these 3 cameras. The K100D Super is a good way to ensure future lens compatibility. All these cameras are old enough to be pretty close on price.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 08-21-2011 at 03:09 PM.
08-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

..and yeah as Dave said, you get in-body SR (Shake Reduction) too plus with the K100D Super you also get the "dust removal" (I'm not really sure how effective) but it is still there as an extra and you don't have to get an updated firmware to support SDHC too...K100D Super also supports SDHC!

08-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Just curious, what lenses do you have that you are wanting to use on the k100?

Paul
08-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
In the end I bought a *istDL2 off ebay complete with lens. Still waiting for delivery but will try my old lens once I have become familiar with the camera
Chris
08-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I hope you get as much enjoyment from your DL2 as I have my DL. They are nice learning DSL cameras. I have M,A, DAL Lenses They all work well on the DL. In fact I use m Lenses more than others. I find them more challenging ( I have to think) and fun.
08-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Those lenses only work in M mode, and only with stop-down metering. That means setting an aperture on the lens, then pushing a button that stops down the lens and suggests a shutter speed. In other modes the lens will always be wide open. For SR, you'll need to enter the lens focal length. The onboard flash will always fire at full power. No aperture information is recorded in EXIF. The center AF sensor is active and will show you when the camera thinks you're in focus.

These lenses only have a couple of limitations. For SR, you'll need to enter the lens focal length (a little annoying for zooms). The center AF sensor is active and will show you when the camera thinks you're in focus. EXIF will show the focal length entered for SR. Everything else works.

Those have no limitations.

With the K100D, you get SR, and that's very useful. I think that's important enough to ignore the *ist series. If you have a nice TTL flash like the AF500 FTZ, and intend to take a ton of flash photos, you might consider the *ist D, DS or DS2, but that would be the only excuse to give up SR. A TTL flash will not work well on anything but these 3 cameras. The K100D Super is a good way to ensure future lens compatibility. All these cameras are old enough to be pretty close on price.

+1 on all of the above... I'm going to add rep too as this is the best response I've seen today.
08-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

One other thing - you need to enable the use of the aperture ring in the menus for lenses without the A setting or the camera will just flash the F--- and won't take a picture..
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thehorologist Quote
regards
Chris
There are some intangables we cannot imagine without your input as to what DSLR to get.

I own an *istD, a K10D and K7D and use all of them with both MF and AF lenses.

To answer your specific questions, K and M lenses will only work in Av mode at maximum aperture, or work in Manual mode at all apertures. If you intend to use a flash, it will be in manual mode except if you get an *istD (DS or DS2) or you use an external flash in "Autop" mode. P-TTL flash simply does not work without the knowledge of maximum aperture and a camera body controlled "AUTO" aperture.

A series and later lenses will work in all exposure moces and all flash modes.

All autofocus lenses from the film era will work on any pentax DSLR, BUT KAF2 mount lenses (Power Zoom) will not have any of the zoom functions except the power zoom itself work, and this will only be on bodies later than the K100DS (I.e. you will not have image size tracking, zoom through exposure, snap to a focal length functions) HSM motors will only work on K100DS or later bodies.

The intangable things are as follows.

The *istD and DS have a better viewfinder than the later *istDl model,, and the K100 series cameras which use a penta mirror.

The K100 has shake reduction, which is a plus, and you need to weigh that off against flash.

The newer the camera the bigger the LCD and the faster the camera writes to memory, etc...... The *istD when I first bought it was respectible, but compared to the K7 there are simply not enough "O's" in SLOOOOOOOOOW to describe it.

The *istD also is an orphan in terms of memory cards using Compact Flash, but you can get an SD to CF converter if you intend to upgrade later to a newer body.

One other thing to consider with K&M lenses is metering. I can't say for the K100, but the *istD meters better with legacy lenses than the K10D &K20D which can only be described as terrible, and also better than the K7 but not by as large a margin.

Overall, my preference is for the *istD, I passed on the K100 because the added value of SR was not enough to outweigh the features of the *istD. it really is a very capable camera.
09-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your information which I will take time to digest. I have allready taken the plunge:ugh: and bought an *istDL2 off ebay which has just arrived. Everyting seems as it should but I am taking time to read the manual before I experiment with my earlier equipement.
Many thanks for yoyr reply
Chris