Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 focus issues

Having some intermittent soft focus issues with both the two lenses I own, the FA43mm and FA31mm on my K5. Some are sharp some are not. On one occasion at a sunset/dusk photo shoot ALL were soft although focus conformation was showing in viewfinder. Not good in low light I guess. Any others having poor results?

08-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you show some examples with Exif info?

Tnx Bert
08-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The K5 is known to have some problems with focusing below EV 4 or so, especially with artificial light. There have been firmware upgrades that have improved things, but I don't think it is perfect. The imaging sensor is much more capable than the AF sensor.
08-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
exif file?

how do I do that? original is dng. so how do I resize and upload for this site?

08-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Open the file in an editor and resize it. When saving, if there is a "save for web" (or similar) option, don't use it as it will strip out the exif, which is already embedded in the file.
08-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Focus confirmation tells you *something* is in focus, but unless you carefully controlled exactly where the focus was, it might not be where you want it. and in low light, you are presumably using a large aperture and hence have a shallow DOF, meaning very little of a photo will be in focus. Sorry if this is all old news to you, but you didn't provide much information to go on here, so I'm just guessing at the most likely explanation.
08-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for your input but I was shooting at f8 on the FA43mm using flash through large brolly at 1/30 for background/sky and no there is no motion blur. Cheers

08-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know what "brolly" is, but if it's something you have to shoot "through", then that could be your problem - the camera may have focused on it instead of your target. Also, the flash would have illuminated the foreground but not the background, meaning the background really is getting the full 1/30" exposure. Meaning camera shake is qute likely. Again, though, we're just gessing until we see actual pictuees.
08-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't know what "brolly" is, but if it's something you have to shoot "through", then that could be your problem
Translation: "using flash through large umbrella"

Billy Moon, have you upgraded the firmware to V1.03? That helped for some people. It did nothing for my camera, and I ended up sending it back. Have you tried AF adjust? It didn't help me, because focus was fine under good light, off under tungsten light.

If none of this works, the problem is confirmed and you're still under warranty, send it in for repair.