Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to adjust for FF BF

Ok, So i know there are about 82 threads (or more) on this topic already, and its pretty much like asking "which oil is better" on a motorcycle forum. But what is the best way to nail down your lens' perfect AF spot? I have heard that the 45degree paper tests are worthless, others say they are amazing. I have spent hours going through all my lenses, tweaking each one, only to do some photos the next day, and every shot is OOF. Then I have to quickly "Reset All" on the AF Adjustment menu.
I have read tons of threads, and tried many ideas (the battery tests, paper tests, etc) None seem to give me nice crisp sharp photos. I always try with a tripod, and remote (to eliminate shake) But nothing seems to work. Not only that, but when I do it. I could go +1... +2... +3...+6, and dont notice a difference, then I go to -6 and still nothing. Is there something in the way that it saves? I heard once you have to remove the lens and turn the camera off to get it to save correctly?

And lastly, how do you tell the difference between having to change the AF on your camera or Lenses? it *SEEMED* like +2 was the happy spot for my K20, but some looked better at +1, some at +6, some stayed at zero, So should I set the camera to +2, and adjust lenses accordingly? But then wont it throw off any lenses that I purchase in the future?

08-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

This looks like the best method I've seen so far.
AF microadjustment for the 1Ds mark III, 1D Mk3, 5D Mk2, 7D
I think the trick is to find the right distance from camera to target.
You have two choices for AF adjust, one is "adjust all", which disables individual adjust, the other is "adjust one" which disables global adjust.
This might be why you are not seeing a difference on individual lens adjusts.
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This looks like the best method I've seen so far.
AF microadjustment for the 1Ds mark III, 1D Mk3, 5D Mk2, 7D
I think the trick is to find the right distance from camera to target.
You have two choices for AF adjust, one is "adjust all", which disables individual adjust, the other is "adjust one" which disables global adjust.
This might be why you are not seeing a difference on individual lens adjusts.
Yes, I know the difference between adjust one/adjust all, but i guess my question is, how do you know when to "adjust all" vs just adjusting one? I have a few lenses that seem to be at the same "adjusting point" but others have slightly different adjustments, how do i know if its the camera, or the lens?
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If all your lenses are exhibiting similar amounts of BF/FF, use the adjust all and see whether that makes a difference on all your lenses. Ajust each one in turn if after that it is still a little off the mark. Each lens has slight variations of focusing calibration on each camera, so the only way to know is to test your lenses out on your cameras.