Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash on a manual or a lens?

What kind of function will I get with the pop up flash or with external flashes with manual or a lenses? From what I gather, with manual lenses there will be no function at all (full power maybe) with the internal flash or an external flash. Is that correct? What about with an a lens? I haven't found as much info on that. I gather that it can meter since it has aperture information and therefor the flash should work correctly? How does zooming effect it?

If it matters, I have an ist-ds, and have several promaster modular flashes. I have control modules that are basic thyristor flashes that are not dedicated (would that work with a full manual lens)? I also have modules that are ttl (ist-ds can use ttl or p-ttl) and just acquired a p-ttl module (I am new to manual lenses and thought the p-ttl module was broken when I got it, then realized it was because it was a manual lens).

08-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
What kind of function will I get with the pop up flash or with external flashes with manual or a lenses? From what I gather, with manual lenses there will be no function at all (full power maybe) with the internal flash or an external flash. Is that correct? What about with an a lens? I haven't found as much info on that. I gather that it can meter since it has aperture information and therefor the flash should work correctly? How does zooming effect it?

If it matters, I have an ist-ds, and have several promaster modular flashes. I have control modules that are basic thyristor flashes that are not dedicated (would that work with a full manual lens)? I also have modules that are ttl (ist-ds can use ttl or p-ttl) and just acquired a p-ttl module (I am new to manual lenses and thought the p-ttl module was broken when I got it, then realized it was because it was a manual lens).
With K and M series lenses, the pop up flash will fire at full power. An external flash will default to M mode and you can choose what power setting it will shoot at.

With A and newer lenses, you get full p-ttl with both the pop up flash and external flashes (if they are so equipped)

Cameras newer than the *Ist D series do not have ttl capabilities and only have p-ttl.
08-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. With K and M series lenses, will a thyristor flash do any good? My flashes only have a couple of manual power settings so they are limited in that regard. They have a removable control module though, and I have the newer p-ttl control module, the older pentax ttl control module, and a generic single contact thyristor module (I also have slave modules but that's not really relevant here).
08-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Thanks for the info. With K and M series lenses, will a thyristor flash do any good? My flashes only have a couple of manual power settings so they are limited in that regard. They have a removable control module though, and I have the newer p-ttl control module, the older pentax ttl control module, and a generic single contact thyristor module (I also have slave modules but that's not really relevant here).
If the flash has its own light sensor (and an Auto mode) then it will work fine since that doesn't rely on communication with the camera. Use the setting guide on the back of the flash to set the camera settings and then leave the flash in A mode.

08-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes it has its own light sensor on the thyristor module. Thanks again for the information. I'll have to play with it and see how sell it works with manual lenses.