Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My lens is missing something!

I just received a 28mm f/2.8 Auto Rokinon that I got on ebay for $8.00. Takes 52mm filter. Has green letters "KA", and a green "A" to the left of f/22. To the left of the green "A" is a hole where I believe there should be a button to lock "A". So, that suggests that aperture must be manually set. Other than that, looks pretty clean. Is my thinking correct? Is this something I can fix? If not, it's a very cool paperweight. Thanks in advance.

08-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, even if you have to use it manually, I don't think it's a "paperweight".

Try setting the aperture ring to the "A" position, put the lens on your camera, set the camera in the "Av" position and see if you can control the aperture via the camera dial. If you can, then you're good to go - if not, then you've still got a pretty good deal at $8 for the lens.

One caveat - watch out for the dreaded "Ricoh" pin problem. Search this forum and you'll get lots of hits - some will have photos of the pin to watch out for and solutions.

Good luck.
08-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Doesn't appear to have the Ricoh pin, based on the photos I have seen. Setting the aperture ring to "A" and setting camera mode to Av and AF switch does nothing- viewfinder says "MF" so looks like I have a fully manual lens for $8.

The missing "button" that locks "A"- is that DIY fixable?

Thanks for your help!
08-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of course the viewfinder says MF, it's manual focus! What matters is if you can set the f-stop from the camera or if the LCD says F-- (what it says when it doesn't know the aperture).

08-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
button fell out

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
I just received a 28mm f/2.8 Auto Rokinon that I got on ebay for $8.00. Takes 52mm filter. Has green letters "KA", and a green "A" to the left of f/22. To the left of the green "A" is a hole where I believe there should be a button to lock "A". So, that suggests that aperture must be manually set. Other than that, looks pretty clean. Is my thinking correct? Is this something I can fix? If not, it's a very cool paperweight. Thanks in advance.
I suspect there was a plastic button in the A hole

I have heard of them falling out!

No problem. I suspect sticking a ball point pen or such into the hole and pressing in as you rotate the lens towards the A position will solve the problem.

Let us know please.
08-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
L33tGregg: loved your tone!

In any event, in Av mode with aperture set on "A" (easily moved out though), f stop can be set from the camera. So it's not that it won't work on "A", it's more like it may be hard to keep it there. Will try foreign object such as pencil to see effect of pushing.

Thanks all.
09-01-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My lens is missing "A" button

What I need is something that will replace the "A" button so that I can lock it, and also unlock to allow use of aperture ring. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.
09-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You can probably disassemble it and replace it with some custom button. I suggest you google it, or search youtube. It's probably a relatively simple operation if you know what you're doing.