Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses with image stabilization

How does it work when a lens has image stabilization built in and the Pentax body does too? Do you turn one off? Use both? Is it a waste of money on the lens for a Pentax?

08-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Turn the Body SR off and the lens SR on (if the lens is equipped with the switch), if the lens does not have the switch, turning the body SR off should activate the lens SR system.

I use a combination of the cameras SR and my own personal SR (a couple bottles of ice cold corona)...

--
08-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
But can both the camera's SR and lens SR be on at the same time (let alone the Corona SR)? Or do you chose one or the other?
08-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's one or the other - also, if the lens has a switch on it and it is turned to the on position and the camera is set to the on position, I believe (NOT 100% POSITIVE ON THIS, maybe some others can shed a little light on this) the lens SR will automatically be disabled. And yes, the "Corona SR System" doesn't care if it is the body or the lens SR, it will still function as intended...

--

08-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

As stated before, do not use IS and SR together. Switch off both (eg on tripod) or one only (handheld).

Yes, the lens IS is redundant since Pentax bodies have SR. However these lenses (Sigma, Tamron) were developed for all brands incl. Canikons which do not have SR.

Personally non of my lenses have IS. They are cheaper than newer IS lenses and the camera body SR does the shake reduction (handheld).

Hope that the clarification wil help.
08-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!
08-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know people have said that their Sigma's have gotten blurry pictures with both lens SR and camera SR on, so you can have both on, and it will be a detriment.

Also - look at the 70-200 vs FA*80-200 review - they said that the lens SR system in the Sigma is not better than the Pentax k-5 SR. Is it better than a k-x/k-r's SR system? I doubt it. It's a waste of money if that's the feature that's keeping you from deciding a lens.
08-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It is one or the other in terms of stabilization. However it is not because the lens were made for all mounts that we are seeing optical stabilization. If I recall correctly in body sr is very limited in the long focal lengths think about how much movement the sensor would need for 500mm focal lengths. This is where optical stabilization has us beat.

As for why having both on creates blurred images is because when both are on they essentially both compensate for movement they over correcting and creating blur.

08-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm not sure whether it is true (I haven't tested it) but the lens stabilization is supposed to be 1 stop better than the in-body SR.
You have to choose I guess which one to switch-on or switch-off when using a lens with such.
I have a Sigma OS HSM and I always use the Pentax in-body SR since the lens OS also sucks up battery life.
The more you use lens SR/VR/IS/OS, then the more batteries you need.
08-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The beauty of lens IS is that the image in the viewfinder doesn't noticeably shake at long focal lengths.
08-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Use one SR method only. Neither the lens nor body will "automatically" be disabled.

I use in-body SR always, for a variety of reasons -

Possible lens damage if removed while turned on (per Sigma) .
I forget to turn the body SR on when I change lenses.
I like seeing how much I can can stabilize the image in the viewfinder.
08-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
The beauty of lens IS is that the image in the viewfinder doesn't noticeably shake at long focal lengths.
I've heard a lotta reports of people getting motion sickness with lens IS..
08-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I've heard a lotta reports of people getting motion sickness with lens IS..
I think this is where the Corona SR would be helpful !!!
08-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Stabilized lenses are more or less redundant on Pentax, although for longer focal lenghts it might be slightly more effective than sensor SR.

Lots of sigma lenses are getting OS now, so soon there won't be a choice to get it or not.
08-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There is an advantage of lens based reduction in that you get a stabilized image in the viewfinder. I find this helps with composition at longer FLs.