Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Something else to keep in mind is that telephoto not only gives you long range but it gives you macro from further away so you don't have to be right on top of the object (that is assuming the lens is capable of it or that you make it capable of it with something like the raynox). I have a 70-300mm lens that only has macro focus in the 200-300mm range. here is a pic with it as close as it can go at 300mm (first picture). It allows you to shoot closeups from further away.
I tried to add a macro lens on top of it but got terrible results (I don't do macro enough to know what went wrong but these 2 lenses do not play well together). it gives you an idea of how much closer you can get with a strong macro focus lens attached though (second photo). The macro lens is an olympus is\l a-life size macro and the main lens is a sigma 70-300mm 4.0-5.6. The first shot was from about 3 feet away and the second from about 6 inches away. you might also want to try macro tubes (they cost next to nothing on ebay though I'm not sure about availability there). Here is a thread on the 55-300mm and macro
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31899-macro-pentax-55-300-a.html
I am not familiar with that lens by the way. I don't know what they sell for used but looking at full retail price they are way to rich for my budget.

Attached Images

Last edited by ripit; 05-29-2012 at 06:58 PM.
08-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I figured it out. I originally got the olympus macro lens to use with prosumer cameras and it is only 49mm. It's been too long since I have done macro. I was shooting with fastest aperture. The macro lens was creating an artificial aperture restriction since it is so small I guess. I stooped it down and it greatly improved. the first 2 are with the same 70-300mm already posted. he second 2 are at 200mm on a vivitar 28-200mm with and without the olympus converter. I think that my rustyness with macro and low light (single light bulb on the celing and no aditional lighting setup) are the primary problem with the bigger lens. The olympus is a 3 element macro lens and I have got conflicting reports on its strength. 1 place I just looked said +7.7 diopter but others have said more.
Attached Images

Last edited by ripit; 05-29-2012 at 06:57 PM.
08-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #18

Original Poster
Hi folks,

I just want to thank everybody for their suggestions and tips. They were great and really helped us to make our initial choice. The only problem is that now I want to buy more and more lenses Anyways I'll be donating to the site soon to show my appreciation and to get on the marketplace. I'll be active there very soon!

Thanks again everybody!

Luiz Paulo