Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

Which DSLR would you use with my lenses?

Hey there everyone...brand new here. Bought a Ricoh XRP back in the day and replaced it with a Pentax ZX-7 a little less back. When digital came around the 35mm stayed on the shelf and I went point and shoot for some time. Now I have my old lenses and want a DSLR...but I'm plenty confused as to which series bodies work best with the lenses I have. In particular I will use the SMC Pentax F 4.7 80-200mm and SMC Pentax FA 3.2 28-105. I'm looking to purchase a quality used item, so if you have something to move and the forum echos praise regarding it here's a chance to upgrade yourself.

08-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All Pentax lenses, Manual or Auto focus, are compatible on Pentax DSLR lens.
Perhaps it would be beneficial if you scanned the camera reviews in the Forums to gauge what is best for your needs/budget etc etc.

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-x - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
08-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi!

Your lenses are pretty nice, especially the 28-105 which is well regarded. You will find, however, that on digital the field of view decreases, your lens will not give you as wide a FOV at 28.. (but you will gain reach at 105mm).

any current Pentax DSLR will work with your lenses, without problems. The current models are the entry-level K-r and the mid-level K-5. You can compare their specs in the database of this website.

If you shop for an older model, the entry-level K-x is very well regarded. The mid-levels K20 and K-7 are excellent, the older K10 still very good but below the other models regarding high ISO performances. It depends on your budget, needs, and opportunities.
08-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums!

I have the FA 28-105 F/3.2-4.5 like you have (and a ZX-7 too, how about that?), and it works equally well on both of my DSLR bodies (K20D and K-x). I think whichever body you choose, it should reflect the way that you shoot. I find that I like the controls of the K20D better than the K-x, and it feels perfect in my hands. The K-x, however, I have found is better for low light shooting. In any case, I believe that any DSLR made by Pentax will work with the lenses that you have. One other purchase you may consider is the DA 18-55 kit lens (or the DA 16-45 F4, if you want wider) to the same field of view for wideness as you had on film with the 28-105.

Hope that helps!

08-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hmmm...then why have 7 or 8 K-series mounts from Pentax? If you're saying every DSLR will support the features of these lenses this is as simple as choosing a body...happy day!
08-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The autofocus lenses will be fully supported on a Pentax DSLR. If you still have some manual focus lenses around without A contacts you will have to use them with stop down metering, which is still fairly straight forward.
08-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're just starting with digital, I'd go for the K-r.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BikerBry Quote
Hmmm...then why have 7 or 8 K-series mounts from Pentax? If you're saying every DSLR will support the features of these lenses this is as simple as choosing a body...happy day!
It's a little more complicated than others have described it. Pentax has added some digital information to lenses since the F series, so the FA lenses can tell the camera what their sharpest aperture is, and DA lenses can have their distortion and CA corrected. DA and FA-J lenses don't have aperture rings. Power zoom features are missing for the handful of power zoom lenses. Nothing important there.

Manual focus lenses fall into 2 groups: the ones with an A position on the aperture ring (KA mount), and everything else. With a KA mount, the camera body can control the lens aperture, and that enables many of the body features, like program modes and P-TTL flash. Some minor stuff doesn't work - only one focus point is active, you have to manually enter a focal length for SR to work well, variable aperture zooms only report one aperture to the camera, that's about it.

The everything else group includes K-mount lenses without an A position on the aperture ring and anything with an adapter. These have the minor flaws of the KA mount lenses, plus the meter won't use multi-segment metering, metering itself involves an extra step, onboard flash fires at full power, and program modes don't work that well.

08-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BikerBry Quote
As just one more Dave has said, it is somewhat of a history lesson in the evolution of technology. So, I'll add this and it might clarify things a bit more. You can almost follow along with the litany of the Pentax K mount lenses (K, M, A, F, FA, DA ......) at...
You can see in the link above the evolutionarily path of the lenses. Essentially they went from the bare K mount (K and M series), then with auto aperture, where the lens communicated with the body as to what apertures it was capable of and then allowed the camera body to set the aperture. That was the A series.

F brought in Auto Focus along with the auto aperture from the A series.

DA added the quick shift clutch where you could be in auto focus, and then with your hand manually adjust the focus ring, with out doing anything else

The latest is the SDM with is the addition of a focus motor in the lens, rather than a screw drive motor in the body, performing the auto-focus.

All the mounts and lens designations are essentially backwards comparable. Starting with the K10 body and the KM/K2000/K100Super, all the bodies can drive the SDM auto focus motor.

Lately, the aperture ring has been disappearing on the new lenses, because the camera body controls the aperture settings and the though is that it is no longer necessary. Also, with the new weather sealed and resistant lenses it eliminates an additional path for moisture leakage.

Bottom line - If the lens says Pentax on it - it will mount and work on whatever body you have.

08-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone...