Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I fixed it! (sort of)

I've left it without batteries for a few days, in hopes of clearing anything wonky as far as firmware may go, and when I went to try it with fresh batteries, it still didn't work.

Thats when I figured "if this sucker is broken and out of warranty, breaking it more certainly won't matter". I then took a small flathead screwdriver and very carefully poked/prodded/urged along the plastic gear thats visible inside the lens mount next to the mirror and SNAP. The shutter fired. And fired again. And again. Then it stuck. I repeated what I did before, and this time it stuck open.

This means that I probably have a bit of dust/gunk/crap inside the camera around the gears that work the shutter, so I repeated the 'gently poke it with a sharp metal object' bit and the shutter snapped shut again.

That's when I violated every DO NOT DO THIS RULE known to man and whipped out Ye Can of Compressed Air and blasted that gear and the area immediately around it.

So far the camera is behaving itself again. At least I now know if it has something wrong its now a CLA and not a "return it because its busted" routine.

09-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck with the fix! If your mirror was down while you did the compressed air bit, you probably did not damage the shutters. We hope. Sincerely.
09-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Good luck with the fix! If your mirror was down while you did the compressed air bit, you probably did not damage the shutters. We hope. Sincerely.
I wasn't aiming at the shutters, but rather the gears off to the side of the mirror. I wasn't about to aim the air anywhere close to the sensor - last thing I need is to break THAT. I've fired a bunch of shots off since, and so far the camera is behaving itself. If the issue starts rearing up again, I'll ship the camera off to get a professional cleaning.