Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #1

A3000 Troubleshooting

Hello all!

I have an A3000 that quit working last night. It has fresh batteries and the camera 'battery check' LED is working.

I shot one roll of film with the camera this afternoon. Prior to that the camera sat in a closet for 10 years, unused.

I can switch the camera from 'Lock' to 'Program' or '60' or 'B'.

Here's what happens next:

1) Look through the viewfinder.
2) Press the shutter.
3) The '1000' lights up in the top left corner of the viewfinder. It stays on when the shutter button is released. The only way to turn the '1000' light off is to switch the camera to 'Lock'.

The camera doesn't do anything else - the shutter does not operate, the film does not advance, nothing. No other lights come on in the viewfinder.

It does this whether there is film in the camera or not, lens on the camera or not.

Anyone have any experience with this symptom?

I realize this is a 'beginners camera' - is it worth fixing?

Last edited by NSR; 08-28-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: *grammar*
08-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the film loaded correctly? Some Pentax film bodies stay at 1000 until the film is advanced to frame #1.
08-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
NSR

Original Poster
This problem cropped up when the camera had no film in it.

I shot 1 roll of film earlier in the day. It worked fine.

Later I began experimenting with the camera. There was no film in the camera at the time. I had the camera lens on & off, I had the back of the camera open & closed, moving the apeture ring ... snapping away, checking out how the camera worked.

Then it just stopped running. I tried putting a roll of film in the camera, hoping that would 'reset' something somehow - no good.

I also took the batteries out in the hopes that that would reset something - nope.

Lastly, I put in another new set of batteries ... and here we are, LOL!

Last edited by NSR; 08-26-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: *add info*
08-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
NSR

Original Poster
Fixed!!

OK, I got the camera working!! For the sake of others that may run across a similar problem, I'll describe what I did to get it running again.

Open the back of the camera. On the left - where the film goes - there are a bunch of contacts that touch the film canister when one is loaded. They read the film speed off the can (I learned something new today!). The contacts are all spring loaded. I simply rubbed these contacts with my thumb - HARD! The camera began working right away.

I used the camera again today to take photos of all the flooding we have here in the north east!

Good luck to anyone else who runs across this glitch.

08-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the update so that we all can learn!