Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #1

k5 + m42 PK

Does anyone know why the recently bought on ebay m42 pk adaptor does not fit my K5 body ?! The lens with the adaptor screwed on it fits easy and smoothly into the camera K bayonet. However, when i try to screw/turn the lens clockwise to finally fix/attach the lens onto the body, it does not go. It won't even go a bit, stuck. Seems like it is a wrong adapter or something..

It is a black M42-PK adapter. Here is the link on ebay of the item bought: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Thank you !

08-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you press the lens-lock button on the camera whilst trying to mount the lens+adapter? Sometimes such adapters won't fit unless that button is depressed.
08-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
I tried both ways, it won't go ( Thank you anyways Rico!
They say to send it back for a replacement, but to me it seems unlikely that the other one will make a difference.
08-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
In the k5 specs there is mentioned that it is a K mount. And the adaptor i bought is PK. What does the "P" come from. maybe thats the issue ?!

08-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P = pentax, so you should be fine.

Could you post a picture of the adapter?
08-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #6

Hi,
at least the original Pentax adapter works on the K5.
Just bought one and it works. Ive heard that the quality of the others differ quite significantly. Maybe yours is a litte out of tolerance?

Chris
08-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

P is for Pentax. PK means Pentax K-mount, to differentiate it from Konica bayonet mounts. What adapter did you buy?
08-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't you loose infinity when you use that style of adapter? I picked up 5 adapters from this place and have had no problems with them at all, they work as well as my original Pentax M42-PK adapter that I bought used for $35. It was my understanding that if you had that style, it would hold the lens out further out from the body and you would loose infinity focus on your M42 lenses, am I wrong on this? there are times I think the full plate with locking detent would be nice, since I hate having to pull out the little tool to remove the adapter.

08-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for a prompt reply guys!

Here is the ebay link of the adaptor: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

In case you can not access the link, here's the picture from ebay:

Sorry, i can not provide my own picture as i have already posted the adaptor back for a replacement. Hopefully the other one is going to work, the fact which i doubt.

Thx Adam & Rico for the "P" explanations I am just a begginer. Still a lot to learn.
08-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #10

Original Poster
I do also have the original as i believe "m42 Pentax Japan" http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220830145867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and I might also buy one from the link you provided Chex as a spare, coz it looks quite cheap to me. I use the "original" one with my helios 44-2 58mm & 28mm. However when i mount my helios 44m-7 58mm, when it screws at the last few inches to rotate, it starts to touch somehing inside the camera (i guess it's the "F" button, it's quite long). I i tried to force it a bit and screw all the way, the camera won't shoot and the shutter speed and aperture indicators dissapear from the screen )) Anyways 44m-7 differes a bit from 44-2 and that made me think that the second black adaptor (i guess it's Fotodiox) would keep the lens a bit further from the body and thus, will resolve the problem. However, i understand that i can loose a bit from focus to infinity. Well, the adaptor doesn't work anyway!
08-27-2011, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Palamal Quote
I do also have the original as i believe "m42 Pentax Japan" http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220830145867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and I might also buy one from the link you provided Chex as a spare, coz it looks quite cheap to me. I use the "original" one with my helios 44-2 58mm & 28mm. However when i mount my helios 44m-7 58mm, when it screws at the last few inches to rotate, it starts to touch somehing inside the camera (i guess it's the "F" button, it's quite long). I i tried to force it a bit and screw all the way, the camera won't shoot and the shutter speed and aperture indicators dissapear from the screen )) Anyways 44m-7 differes a bit from 44-2 and that made me think that the second black adaptor (i guess it's Fotodiox) would keep the lens a bit further from the body and thus, will resolve the problem. However, i understand that i can loose a bit from focus to infinity. Well, the adaptor doesn't work anyway!
What you have is not the genuine Pentax m42 adapter either. If you want to continue to use the adapter, remove the lock spring and the screw from the adapter because sooner or later it will get stuck in your K-5 causing you a devil of a time to get it off. You will need to activate the camera to use the aperture ring setting in your custom menu in order to shoot with lenses like the m42, K or M lenses. Seriously, you should get a genuine Pentax m42 adapter to use as a benchmark if you want to experiment with Chinese made adapters. These third party adapters' quality and tolerance vary wildly, I take measurements from the genuine article, compare it to the knock-offs and apply some judicial use of metal files and sandpaper to the adapters.

Thanks,
08-27-2011, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Palamal Quote
Thanks for a prompt reply guys!

Here is the ebay link of the adaptor: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
That's a no-infinity-focus (NIF) adapter. It's great for closeup-macro work, and portraits, and teles shooting closer subjects, and long teles that focus past infinity anyway. But it's not a general-purpose adapter.
08-27-2011, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Don't you loose infinity when you use that style of adapter? ... It was my understanding that if you had that style, it would hold the lens out further out from the body and you would loose infinity focus on your M42 lenses...
This is correct. Infinity focus is lost when there is flange on the adaptor.
08-31-2011, 03:51 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thx everyone!

I've decided to buy the original pentax adaptor It makes sens. Could anyone provide me with a link ? Best price

What shall i do then with the helios 44m-7 (plus i've already ordered a pentacon 'bokeh monster' to play with my k5 & it might cause the same thing) ?! I can't screw it all the way, using a no-flange pentax adapter, coz it hurts the camera plus it won't shoot anyway (as i've already described above, aperture & shutter speed dissapear & it doesn't shoot). Any ideas on that ? Anyone used helios 44m-7 with the K5 ? Or shall i make a separate post for this matter ?

Thx!
08-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My question about the Helios, does the rear element/glass protrude past the m42 threads like in this ebay link for a helios-44m-7 f2.0 lens? (top right photo)

Lens Helios 44M-7 2/58mm M42 Exc. Six aperture blades. | eBay

In checking ebays' listings for Helios 44m-7 lenses, I see 2 different variants: the first where the rear element comes past the m42 threads and another where the element is flush with the end of the m42 threads.