Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Check out "You Tube" and you can search for Pentax K7 or K5 (even probably the K20D or K10D) weather resistance or just for videos of those particular models and you will find different people pouring water on purpose on the lens and the body of these WR models while they are turned on or with the shutter pressed to show the camera working and going through its paces without any damage.

09-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Check out "You Tube" and you can search for Pentax K7 or K5 (even probably the K20D or K10D) weather resistance or just for videos of those particular models and you will find different people pouring water on purpose on the lens and the body of these WR models while they are turned on or with the shutter pressed to show the camera working and going through its paces without any damage.
I am not disputing that the camera may survive being soaked, after all I have an *istD that still works after being soaked in a kayak 7 years ago. That is not the point. The point is, that what the camera was designed for and what it might survive, but not be guaranteed to, are two different things.
09-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If I had it, I won't intentionally do what these people at You Tube are doing.
I will be more than assured that the camera can take it and thank these other people for testing it for me..
09-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
And if you happen to get your cam wet, dry it off with a towel as often as you can and when you put it to bed for the night surround it with plenty of bags with Silica Gel Desiccant. In fact you should always carry plenty of those in you camera bag or anywhere near where you store camera and lenses. This is particular useful if your gear is used in the tropics, because you don't need rain to get the gear "wet".

Greetings

02-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
And if you happen to get your cam wet, dry it off with a towel as often as you can and when you put it to bed for the night surround it with plenty of bags with Silica Gel Desiccant. In fact you should always carry plenty of those in you camera bag or anywhere near where you store camera and lenses. This is particular useful if your gear is used in the tropics, because you don't need rain to get the gear "wet".

Greetings
Being that my mother is a chemist, I'm fortunate enough to have a nearly unlimited supply of Drierite. Best part about that dessicant is, it changes color once it's absorbed water, and can be reused just by leaving it in an oven at 450 degrees for 2 hours or so.

In regards to dunking your K-5 in water. I'd join the boat in saying don't do it. But if you do, be sure to take a video, as I'm curious.
02-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I don't have a WR-Camera... I do keep a couple of plastic shopping bags and elastic bands so I 'can' shoot in the rain but if it really starts pouring down the K-x goes back in the bag...
02-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I have K-5 and 16-50 lens.

I want to check the water proof.

If I put some water on the K-5 and lens, it still safe?
I think you are our of your mind.

Your camera is not water proof, it is weather resistant. That means under some really specific lab tests that regulate the pressure of the water , the density and speed of the spray and the duration, the camera did not leak.

You will find all sorts of testimonials on the forums of how good the sealing is, and you will also find posts from people who spent a whole day in the rain, and the camera worked fine, only to come home and have every thing fog, to the guy who washed his cama fifty times before the seals failed.

The point is, you should consider the protection as insurance. You should always protect your gear and rely on the sealing of the body for when and if your protection fails.

WR is NOT water proof, so don't think like it is, and dont waste your time trying to test it
02-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I tested my W30, as the OP wants to do with his SLR, because it is WATERPROOF. To test a weather-sealed SLR in this way would be risking expense.

02-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there is an old post around here from a new (at the time) K7 owner who complained that after the 50th washing under his kitchen tap, his K7 failed. His practice was to wash off the camera after every use.
first thought when i saw this

As said the bodies/lenses are weather resistant not water proof. Big Big difference. That being said I've shot loads of cameras in some pretty rotten weather over the years without issue (yet) I certainly feel more comfortable with the K10 K7 in a downpour than i would with my other lenses (closest to immersion is the K7 got buried in snow - but then again it didn't melt and drown it i just brushed it off and cleaned the lens

Bear in mind as well that if you have removed any caps on the body (like the flash cover, or the grip connection cover) it is no longer WR, it needs all the bits and pieces in place

If you really want water proof buy one of these. Good to 200 feet and about the same price as a second K5

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/820962-REG/Ikelite_6830_05_Underwater_...or_Pentax.html
03-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #25

My experence as noted above if its water resistant means its ok to get wet occasionally but it isnt 100% fool proof, as stuff gets worn through normal wear and tear you can start getting leaks. Another issue is ive had a case where one of the military grade phones got tossed into a snow drift. Its reported as weather resistant etc but shorted out imediatly :P

Best judgement imho
03-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I've already mentioned that WR means WEATHER RESISTANT not WATERPROOF. For getting wet, get an actual WATERPROOF camera, or a housing. Don't brick your camera. I don't know if Homeowner's Insurance covers stupidly taking a bath with your K5.
07-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #27

Are there any differences between the WR lenses and the other lenses without "WR" but simply "Water Repellent Super Coating"?
07-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
Are there any differences between the WR lenses and the other lenses without "WR" but simply "Water Repellent Super Coating"?
WR are specifically made to be Weather Resistant for the newer DSLR's
Other lenses that are Weather Resistant are the DA* lenses with SDM (first made for the newly released, now old DSLR's) and some "limited" lenses.
07-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

They have an "O" ring on the mount and some extra ones on the parts that move.
The front element of all the Pentax lenses are SMC (Super Multi-Coated) coated (regular lenses or WR or DA*) or have a special coating to repel dust and water.