Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

water proof.

I have K-5 and 16-50 lens.

I want to check the water proof.

If I put some water on the K-5 and lens, it still safe?

08-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
pentax cameras and lenses are designed to be water resistant - not water proof: there is a big difference between those terms. You can dunk a water proof camera in a bucket of water without a problem, but a water resistant camera isn't designed to be immersed. Though having said that I have used hundreds of cameras over the years in moderate downpours and I haven't experienced any major catastrophic failures....... yet.
08-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As Digitalis points out, Pentax claims that the K-5 and lens are weather resistant, not water proof.

There is a video out there of someone holding a K-7, I believe, under a shower. The camera survived the experience, apparently none the worse for wear.

Why do you want to "check the water proof", anyway? If the camera does not survive, the damage will not be covered by the warranty. Are you willing to risk over $2,000 on this experiment?

I have a K10D, which is also weather resistant, although the kit lens is not. I still try to avoid getting it too wet or dusty. I look at the WR as a little extra insurance for those times when I can't avoid a little rain or dust, not as a challenge to see how far I can push the limit.
08-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Why do you want to check for waterproofing / weather resistance? Do you plan to shoot in or under water? If so, it is much safer to use an actual underwater camera, like a Pentax Optio W90 or W80. My K20D is WR and some lenses seal very tightly, but I keep them well away from water -- I won't risk them! When I get wet, it's with an Olympus 770-SW which is rated to 10m / 33ft depth underwater. Or if I'm shooting in torrential rain, I wear a wide-brim hat and keep the camera in a plastic bag.

"Testing waterproofing" can be very expensive. My recommendation: DON'T DO IT!!!!

08-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 with all previous posts.

WR =weathe resistant: "weather sealed and coldproof design resists water, fog, snow, sand, dust, and more" (Pentax website).

WR is NOT waterproof.

Please do take care of your gears.....
08-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On should be fine, in, is not such a good idea.
If it gets rained on. it should be ok. Just do not dip it in a pool.

IRENE was here!.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.
08-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

WR, "weather resistance" should be treated as insurance not as the first line of defence. If you have car insurance you don't crash your car into a wall to test the insurance pays out.

So don't "test" it, don't even count on it 100%, just just be happy if your gear gets a bit wet it should be OK.

08-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I accidentally spilled water over my K5 and FA100 the other day. So far no problem, but I'm leaving the lens out to hopefully prevent any problems. It doesn't appear to have any water inside, but upon rolling the focus out and in it did track water with it. Let's hope the build quality holds up and saves me...it's a nice lens and I don't want to have to replace it. No issues with the camera, I just cleaned the exterior as best I could - it wasn't clean water...
08-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I avoid zooming in and out when in a heavy down-pour.

"I want to check the water proof."
It is ok, no need to check any further.

08-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I think it's unwise to let the camera get as wet as seem to have gotten it, apparently just for amusement. I've gotten my K200d wet, too, but try to cover it with a plastic bag, mostly keep it under an umbrella, etc. I treat it about the same as my non-WR K100d. The K100d got some water under the top lcd once, but it went away after some blowing with a hair dryer. The point is that at some point it's possible water will do some damage. It probably wouldn't kill you to help your expensive camera out by putting a plastic bag over it with a hole cut out for the lens.

What I find is that when the rain gets heavy enough to possibly be harmful to the camera, it's impossible to keep my lens clean, no matter how deep the hood. At that point I usually give up, but I don't just carry the camera home out in the open because I (supposedly) can.

Paul
08-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
apparently just for amusement.
Maybe I need an excuse to get a K5.
Believe me, If i had had any doubts about the seals, the camera would have stayed in the house ( 50 mph winds and 14 inches of rain from Irene, not as bad as Isabell thou).

p.s. That 16-50 hood does a fantastic job in keeping the front element dry.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 08-31-2011 at 02:57 PM.
08-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First thing I do with any new WR camera and/or WR lens is put it in the shower and put it through it paces.

I take my camera just about everywhere and if its raining, I do not want to stop shooting.
Was recently on vacation and the weather was awful. As everyone else put their cameras away, I was the only one with photos.
Maybe not the best photos, but I had them. :-)

I want to make sure I don't have a dud and make sure that I can take it back before the bad weather comes. :-)

I've been out in torrential downpours (stronger than my shower). Both the camera and lenses hold up just fine.

Just head the warnings of water-proof v.s. water-resistant.
Also, be sure to rinse well if you're near salt-water!!
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coming up on first 8 inches.
My thinking is that if You have a weather sealed body and a lens, why not use the advantage.
It is a tool and yes, tools can fail but being too careful takes all the fun out of it.

08-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

17 minutes later, going past the 8 inch mark.
So glad to have access to a weather sealed body that is within my means.

08-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there is an old post around here from a new (at the time) K7 owner who complained that after the 50th washing under his kitchen tap, his K7 failed. His practice was to wash off the camera after every use.

As others have said, although the camera is weather resistant, it is not water proof, and you should treat this as insurance not the primary protection.

can cameras get wet and survive, yes, in fact I have an *istD that got swamped in a Kayaking spill in 2004, after drying it out, it is still working today. ANd it is not weather resistant.

BUT if you intend to do a lot of foul weather shooting, use a weather bag, and rely on the WR body and lenses to keep you safe if the bag fails, or if you get caught.

Dont soak the camera just to see what it can withstand, it will only prove one thing, a fool and his money are soon parted, because somewhere, I am very sure, there is a disclaimer about abuse in the warranty clauses