Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #1

8 element vs 7 element 50mm f1.4

Please clear a few things up. From what I've read the original M42 50mm f1.4 Super Takumar 8 element lens does not yellow like the newer 7 element versions. Is this true?
In the opinions of members here is the 7 element (pre SMC) really a better lens? If so, in what respect. I'd enjoy hearing from people who own and use both (film & digital).
Thanks

08-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 8-element Super Takumar is indeed non-thoriated. This means it does not yellow. Only 3 Takumars contain Thorium, the 35/2, the 7-element 50/1.4, and the Super Takumar 6x7 105/2.4.

Radioactive lenses - Camerapedia

I own both and in my subjective opinion the 8-element is the better lens. Unfortunately I rarely use either since getting the A50/1.4.

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-29-2011 at 11:27 AM.
08-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have all three, the 8 element is slightly sharper than the 7 element non smc version - the smc version is sharper than both the 8 and the 7 non smc. If you are looking for a piece to shoot with on a regular basis and IQ and sharpness is what you are in seek of, the Super-Multi-Coated one is the one you want. If you are looking for bragging rights or the pleasure of owning a rare takumar piece, then the 8 element version is the one you want...

--
08-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I have all three, the 8 element is slightly sharper than the 7 element non smc version - the smc version is sharper than both the 8 and the 7 non smc. If you are looking for a piece to shoot with on a regular basis and IQ and sharpness is what you are in seek of, the Super-Multi-Coated one is the one you want. If you are looking for bragging rights or the pleasure of owning a rare takumar piece, then the 8 element version is the one you want...

--
The S-M-C also has the advantage of having 8 aperture blades.

08-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

See more info here:
Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (Early 8-Element Variant) Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 8-element Super Takumar is indeed non-thoriated. This means it does not yellow. Only 3 Takumars contain Thorium, the 35/2, the 7-element 50/1.4, and the Super Takumar 6x7 105/2.4.
Radioactive lenses - Camerapedia
Rear element of my SMC Takumar 55/1.8 gives noticeably increased reading on the Geiger counter. It is yellowish as well, but i doubt it has any effect on pictures.
08-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Rear element of my SMC Takumar 55/1.8 gives noticeably increased reading on the Geiger counter. It is yellowish as well, but i doubt it has any effect on pictures.
The amber coloring is from the SMC coatings. A yellowed lens will look yellow when you look through the viewfinder.
09-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
RMJ

Original Poster
Thanks for replies. I own a 8 element lens and 7 element Super Takumar. I felt the 8 element was better but everything I read always said the 7 was better. Both are in preistine condition. I should take your advise and pick up a SMC version so it can meter at full aperture with my SPF.
I need to finish up my film and get some images posted.
Thanks again!

09-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RMJ Quote
Thanks for replies. I own a 8 element lens and 7 element Super Takumar. I felt the 8 element was better but everything I read always said the 7 was better. Both are in preistine condition. I should take your advise and pick up a SMC version so it can meter at full aperture with my SPF.
I need to finish up my film and get some images posted.
Thanks again!
There are a couple of long threads on here about these lenses which mostly centers around identifying the different versions and variants. However, I think that my 8 element copies are better than my copies of the regular S.T. 50/1.4 and S-M-C 50/1.4. I think there were some assumptions made that the 8-element was dropped because the 7 element was better. However, the 8-element was expensive at the time due to the cemented triplet group.