Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

SD Card image recovery

I had a PC wobbly which is fixed, but it happened just as I finished transfering a few images from the camera and deleted the files on the card.

A recovery program (Ease US) got the images off the card for me - but without the EXIF...

Has anyone used a program that has managed to get the EXIF as well as the image?

09-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Recuva (Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download) to recover damaged files and I can recommend it.

However I do not remember that it recover EXIF.

Hope that the link may help.
09-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, top tip.

It got them back with the correct names and the EXIF, and just the ones taken last time - the other utility (ZAR) spend a long time scanning the card and found all the intact files on it. All I had to do was tweak the search pattern to include .pef.

Suspect a deep scan with Recuva would have found everything on the card.
09-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
It got them back with the correct names and the EXIF, and just the ones taken last time - the other utility (ZAR) spend a long time scanning the card and found all the intact files on it. All I had to do was tweak the search pattern to include .pef.
Suspect a deep scan with Recuva would have found everything on the card.
Well done. I am genuinely glad that you recovered all.

I have used Recuva many times. In some bad cases of corrupted cards, I could not always recover all.

I might suggest that you reformat your card once you recovered all your shots.

09-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Was going to reformat the card but since it was a PC wobbly it's probably not really necessary - the files Recuva got were perfect, just deleted!

There does seem to be a big varience in the quality of recovery software though and none of them seem to document the things they will try to recover for each file type.
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

When you are sure that you have recovered every image that there was, format the card IN CAMERA. The PC is a lot more forgiving than the camera when it comes to formatting. Once I have transferred files to my two hard drives, I format the card in the camera. I have had no card problems in almost four years now.
09-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't had any card problems ever - so far! It was that the PC had copied the files down, deleted them from the card and then lost them that lead me to Recuva. I do know to format my cards in the camera, and I never use reformat as a way of deleting images - Bridge does that perfectly well. And I don't normally take the cards out of the camera either, I plug the camera in with the USB cable. Saves forgetting to put the card back in the camera...
09-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I haven't had any card problems ever - so far! It was that the PC had copied the files down, deleted them from the card and then lost them that lead me to Recuva. I do know to format my cards in the camera, and I never use reformat as a way of deleting images - Bridge does that perfectly well. And I don't normally take the cards out of the camera either, I plug the camera in with the USB cable. Saves forgetting to put the card back in the camera...
I don't delete the images after import. I simply format the card in camera after I know all the images are on my two (2) USB drives. My PC only copies the images; it does nothing else with the card - read only is the trick here, I think. I never delete images, period. Holdover from old PC days where the files system could get screwed up if one deleted from floppy disks sometimes.

09-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have always deleted after import and it's never caused me any problems until the PC decided to throw a wobbly, but Recuva sorted it all out for me.
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I have used a free program called Restoration that also saved the exif data from deleted images.