Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usual Internal Dust.......What does this mean?

I have observed in many lenses for sale here an on Ebay that the description includes the phrase: "...includes usual internal dust." I understand this as the lens having dust inside. SHould I understand this as all lenses have dust inside, usually a small portion. Or what? I think they are trying to minimize the fact that the lens has dust inside. Can you share what you think about this? Thanks, Pepe.

09-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Generally all used lenses will have a small amount of dust particles inside. After awhile, even your brand new one will gather dust particles inside.

It doesn't show up in most photos since you are focusing away forward of where the dust is. A lot of it might make for a soft image but I think you'd need a lot of dust for that to happen.

Someone with more knowledge will hopefully jump in here but when I have purchased lenses, they all have a few specks and I've never noticed a problem with the final photos.
09-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A little bit of internal dust is indeed inevitable. This kind of phrasing in an ad is usually a "cover your ass" tactic for the seller. If they didn't say that, then people could nitpick it after the fact, even when it's a fact of life with lenses in general.
09-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Last year someone was asking about dust in a Pentax-M 135/3.5, because they could see a lot of dust when they shined an LED flashlight through it. I figured I'd help them out by taking a photo of my copy, which I felt was nearly dust-free.

That looks pretty bad, much worse than I expected. In use, the lens is still excellent, and I have not bothered to clean it. And cleaning is not easy; I have a hard time not ending up with more dust than I started with. It's a lot like shaking a lens and hearing a rattle. You think it's something broken, but some lenses just rattle.

09-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Dad has a lot of experience with film photography and for years he showed slides with a slide projector that had a big crack right through the entire projector lens.

When I commented on it, his reply was "You don't look AT the lens, you look THROUGH it."

That sums it up quite well for most photographic purposes.
09-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
A little bit of internal dust is indeed inevitable. This kind of phrasing in an ad is usually a "cover your ass" tactic for the seller. If they didn't say that, then people could nitpick it after the fact, even when it's a fact of life with lenses in general.
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
When I commented on it, his reply was "You don't look AT the lens, you look THROUGH it."
Both exactly right. If you properly describe a lens, you much include the CYAs. But dust and worse only matter financially, not optically. Even much front-element damage doesn't matter. Rear-element damage is another story, but the front can be pretty badly slashed-and-trashed and still perform adequately. A little dust? Pshaw! I flatulate in your general direction!
09-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I flatulate in your general direction!

"How is it that you are so wise in the ways of science??"