Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
pentax k110d and windows 7

I just got a K110D and I am using an SDHC memory card. The available firmware for the update to fix this is only available for a Mac or Windows XP, but I am using Windows 7. Is there anything I can do? I can't locate a community made update and I'm not sure if there's a way to adapt a driver for XP to 7. I can't even find one for Vista, since I know Vista drivers work for Win7.

09-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,872
Somewhat confused. Are you trying to update the Pentax Photo Browser software, the RAW Codec, or the Camera Firmware.

The update to the firmware is just a self-extracting zip file. You then copy the contents of the zip file to the SD card and turn the camera on while holding down the menu button.

AFAIK the software that shipped with the K110D has never been updated to Windows 7. This doesn't matter, it wasn't very good anyway. Try FastStone instead.

http://www.faststone.org/

The RAW Codec has been updated for Windows 7, but only the 32-bit version. If you are using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 you are out of luck.
09-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
If I'm understanding this correctly, it isn't a driver issue. You're trying to extract a firmware update from the supplied exe file, right? Have you tried running it anyway? Did it throw an error that may be useful?

If it won't run at all, try right clicking the program, go to properties, compatibility, and tick the box to "Run this in compatibility mode for" and select Windows XP SP2. If it's like other firmware packages, it should just extract the bin file from the archive.

Additionally, if you have Winrar installed (or can get it), just right click the supplied exe and select "Extract to [filename]\" and that will create a folder with the bin file in it.

Then you can carefully follow the upgrade instructions provided. Hope this helps.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The RAW Codec has been updated for Windows 7, but only the 32-bit version. If you are using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 you are out of luck.
EDIT: If you need a 64 bit DNG codec, get this one. Works a treat. If you shoot PEF, well, switch to DNG already.
09-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,259
I don't understand why pentax supplies two firware downloads. Just download the mac version and extract the folder (the functionality is built-in in windows)

09-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
If I'm understanding this correctly, it isn't a driver issue. You're trying to extract a firmware update from the supplied exe file, right? Have you tried running it anyway? Did it throw an error that may be useful?

If it won't run at all, try right clicking the program, go to properties, compatibility, and tick the box to "Run this in compatibility mode for" and select Windows XP SP2. If it's like other firmware packages, it should just extract the bin file from the archive.

Additionally, if you have Winrar installed (or can get it), just right click the supplied exe and select "Extract to [filename]\" and that will create a folder with the bin file in it.

Then you can carefully follow the upgrade instructions provided. Hope this helps.



EDIT: If you need a 64 bit DNG codec, get this one. Works a treat. If you shoot PEF, well, switch to DNG already.
I don't actually know what half of this is referring to (Winrar, for example). I am not the most technologically inclined but can follow easy instructions if someone can give me a walk through (but not leaving any details out/assuming any prior knowledge on my part).

I need to use an SDHC memory card. It's not compatible, but Pentax offered free firmware for it. I am downloading the .exe and then dragging and dropping the .BIN file to the actual memory card, as the website instructs me to do. Yet when I turn on the camera while holding down MENU, I still get "memory card error". The card is not locked so I am assuming it is a compatibility issue since the firmware specifies it is for 2000 and XP and I am using Win7.

I did what you said with properties -> compatibility but the .exe file says it's already with a Windows XP compatibility thing. It's the actual BIN file that seems to not be working and that isn't giving me a compatibility option when I click on properties.

My computer won't let me use the Macintosh file to get the .BIN file to drag it to the memory card to begin with, so that isn't an option.
09-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't understand why pentax supplies two firware downloads. Just download the mac version and extract the folder (the functionality is built-in in windows)
When I click on it after downloading the mac version it says I cannot use it.
09-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Somewhat confused. Are you trying to update the Pentax Photo Browser software, the RAW Codec, or the Camera Firmware.

The update to the firmware is just a self-extracting zip file. You then copy the contents of the zip file to the SD card and turn the camera on while holding down the menu button.

AFAIK the software that shipped with the K110D has never been updated to Windows 7. This doesn't matter, it wasn't very good anyway. Try FastStone instead.

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

The RAW Codec has been updated for Windows 7, but only the 32-bit version. If you are using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 you are out of luck.

I am not sure why you are confused. I specifically said that I am just trying to make it compatible with my SDHC memory card. The software itself is fine, I imagine. I haven't gotten that far yet - the camera can't be used without the memory card and the memory card is receiving an error message because the firmware isn't for Windows 7.
09-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: a village in the green
Posts: 8
It seems that you are mixing several things together.
So, one thing after the other.
Quote: The available firmware for the update to fix this...
To fix what?
If you connect your K110D via the USB-cable to your PC, it's an external harddisk, and it doesn't matter if your OS is Windows XP, Vista, Seven, a Mac or whatever. If your camera is not recognized, then something is messed up with your OS. And since Windows Seven has ALL necessary USB-drivers built-in and does NOT need a special one for a SDHC-card, you should consider fixing your OS first.
Quote: I can't locate a community made update...
For what?
If you mean the update for the camera firmware (which has abs. nothing to do with your OS), the previous posters already gave you the answer.

Edit:
After I took the time to read the K110D manual online, it seems that the older firmware supports only SD-cards, not SDHC-cards.
If that's your problem, well, you'll have to buy a SD-card for the update...


Last edited by older albatross; 09-04-2011 at 12:31 AM.
09-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
QuoteOriginally posted by older albatross Quote
If that's your problem, well, you'll have to buy a SD-card for the update...
This is the problem. You can't use an incompatible card to make it compatible, because the camera can't read the bin file on it to use for updating.
09-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by older albatross Quote
It seems that you are mixing several things together.
So, one thing after the other.
Quote: The available firmware for the update to fix this...
To fix what?
If you connect your K110D via the USB-cable to your PC, it's an external harddisk, and it doesn't matter if your OS is Windows XP, Vista, Seven, a Mac or whatever. If your camera is not recognized, then something is messed up with your OS. And since Windows Seven has ALL necessary USB-drivers built-in and does NOT need a special one for a SDHC-card, you should consider fixing your OS first.
Quote: I can't locate a community made update...
For what?
If you mean the update for the camera firmware (which has abs. nothing to do with your OS), the previous posters already gave you the answer.

Edit:
After I took the time to read the K110D manual online, it seems that the older firmware supports only SD-cards, not SDHC-cards.
If that's your problem, well, you'll have to buy a SD-card for the update...
The phrase "driver" is obviously a malapropism on my part so just forget that I said that word. It's not that I think I need a driver, I just interchangeably referred to the firmware as a driver.

I don't know whether you're thinking too poorly of my understanding of the computer/camera's relationship or if your understanding is poorer than I'm assuming.

1. The camera's firmware as it comes supports only the SD-card - I know that. That's why I located the firmware to fix this.
2. The firmware online that you can use to update is made to fix that (Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX)
3. I'm right about all of the models and I'm following the instructions to the T, so the only thing I can think of because it's not the perfect match is that I have Windows 7 and the BIN, according to the site, is for XP. When I do googling it says that Win7 can use Windows Vista software, but XP can't be used interchangeably. Because the BIN itself doesn't open on the computer, there's no way to use compatibility mode on it.

Are you saying that I need to use an SD card to do the update and then the SDHC card will work? Or...?

My ONLY problem is with the card. The camera cannot take photos without a compatible memory card. The camera hooking to the computer and blah blah blah is fine.
09-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #11
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
This is the problem. You can't use an incompatible card to make it compatible, because the camera can't read the bin file on it to use for updating.
So I have to buy a regular SD card to update it for an SDHC card?
09-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
QuoteOriginally posted by emilybr Quote
So I have to buy a regular SD card to update it for an SDHC card?
Yep. The camera will only be able to run the firmware update when it's using a card it can read the new version from. Right now, it can't read SDHC cards, so it doesn't even know there is a firmware update on he card.

Luckily you can get a 2GB SD card for very little, under $10, but perhaps a bit more if you have to go to a brick and mortar store near you. It depends where you are and what's available.

What you could also do is take your camera, SDHC card with the firmware file on it to your local camera shop, and see if they would help you out by copying it to an SD card of theirs, and updating your camera (or letting you do it in-store). It's worth a shot, as I think most places will have at least one old SD card on hand for in-store use.
09-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,872
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
If I'm understanding this correctly, it isn't a driver issue. You're trying to extract a firmware update from the supplied exe file, right? Have you tried running it anyway? Did it throw an error that may be useful?

If it won't run at all, try right clicking the program, go to properties, compatibility, and tick the box to "Run this in compatibility mode for" and select Windows XP SP2. If it's like other firmware packages, it should just extract the bin file from the archive.

Additionally, if you have Winrar installed (or can get it), just right click the supplied exe and select "Extract to [filename]\" and that will create a folder with the bin file in it.

Then you can carefully follow the upgrade instructions provided. Hope this helps.



EDIT: If you need a 64 bit DNG codec, get this one. Works a treat. If you shoot PEF, well, switch to DNG already.
Only problem is the K110D doesn't shoot DNG, only PEF or JPEG.
09-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
That comment was mainly for boriscleto, in respone to this:

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you are using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 you are out of luck.
If you need a PEF codec, try the recently released Microsoft Camera Codec Pack which is available for both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 as well as Vista SP2.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k110d, pentax help, pentax k110d, update, vista, windows, xp
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K110D infrared (Worldwide) ITW Sold Items 2 05-13-2011 10:09 AM
Flash for Pentax ist k110d ppaul_l Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 03-28-2011 04:29 AM
Pentax *ist DS - K110D and others anderson_santos Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 08-28-2010 06:19 PM
Using Pentax Camera Utility 4 with Windows 7 barondla Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 05-10-2010 07:18 PM
Windows users: upgrading to windows 7? bonovox General Talk 56 11-09-2009 07:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top