Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax repair estimate

I contacted Pentax to see what it would cost to send my camera in and have it gone over, nothing wrong with it just wanted a general check up if you will since I am not the original owner. They quoted me 250.00 with out any repairs needed. Is this high? Should I try to find a local shop that is certified for pentax? Basically Im deployed and I wanted my wife to have the camera checked out before she sent it to me, I cant exactly just pick up a phone and call them direct anytime and I sure dont want a big turn around if it does have an issue as soon as I get it.

JJ

09-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
250..what? $, euros? i have no idea how much should cost but it seem they told you a lot! I never had to send my K-x for service, and i could not find a list with prices. I've been told is similar with what Nikon have here in Romania, they have a table on website. If it is so, diagnose the camera for problems would be 25$, 50$ clean optic surfaces, 26$ clean sensor, 67$ calibration. i guess maybe you wanted diagnose and some optic cleaning, that should be less than half of what they were asking. Do they told you what exactly are the operations included in 250$? I would say to look elsewhere...
09-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Personally I would wait for symptoms before sending it in.
09-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Inactive Account

IF you are talking about your DS, you can replace it for that amount. If there's nothing wrong with it and it is not under warranty, I would just have Mrs send the camera.

09-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
IF you are talking about your DS, you can replace it for that amount. If there's nothing wrong with it and it is not under warranty, I would just have Mrs send the camera.

No not my Ds I just picked up a K7, So I figure it will take about two weeks to get to me, that gives her enough time to make sure its in working order and mail it over here, I just thought 250 was rather high thats half what I spent on the camera.

JJ
09-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
No not my Ds I just picked up a K7, So I figure it will take about two weeks to get to me, that gives her enough time to make sure its in working order and mail it over here, I just thought 250 was rather high thats half what I spent on the camera.

JJ
I don't think you have anything to worry about with the K7. I would guess that your wife can verify that it is working before she sends it and you should be fine. I never had a second of any sort of a glitch from my K7 and I think you'll find most others had the same experience. Just a general self checkup is all that should be needed and since your wife knows how to use a camera, she is probably more than capable of doing so. The only thing I Might have done if you cannot (but you can because you have internet access) is update the firmware. What I Would do is get a couple spare batteries for it (I doubt you'll find any over there).

You said 'deployment' earlier. I assume that is Military deployment for our war effort over there. Please stay safe and come back to us (and your family) in one piece, upright, and breathing. Then show use lots of pictures that we don't get to see every day past the talking heads here.

09-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I don't think you have anything to worry about with the K7. I would guess that your wife can verify that it is working before she sends it and you should be fine. I never had a second of any sort of a glitch from my K7 and I think you'll find most others had the same experience. Just a general self checkup is all that should be needed and since your wife knows how to use a camera, she is probably more than capable of doing so. The only thing I Might have done if you cannot (but you can because you have internet access) is update the firmware. What I Would do is get a couple spare batteries for it (I doubt you'll find any over there).

You said 'deployment' earlier. I assume that is Military deployment for our war effort over there. Please stay safe and come back to us (and your family) in one piece, upright, and breathing. Then show use lots of pictures that we don't get to see every day past the talking heads here.

Thanks Jeff,
I was really fortunate to pick up the K7, It wasnt even on my radar I knew about it but I really wanted the K5 but didnt want to spend the money just yet knowing that when I get back there will probably be a replacement model. But I have always wanted a K20D so when that fell through I couldnt believe I had a K7 fall in my lap same day. And since I just sold my Canon 300D for about the same price I am really not out anything. This should definitely hold me over. This was the first time I did not bring more than a P & S with me because the last two trips proved uneventful (you know how hard it is to take a picture from the front of a helicopter LOL) and when you are in the same spot for a year you can take most of the good pics the first couple months you are here. but I digress Looking forward to getting to know my new camera and tickled to be back in the Pentax arena.

JJ
09-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just paid $125 for a total disassembly, diagnosis and cleaning on my K20D. I had dropped the camera and broken a circuit board. That cost an extra $19. This was at a Pentax certified repair center in Portland, Oregon: Advance Camera.

09-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I contacted Pentax to see what it would cost to send my camera in and have it gone over, nothing wrong with it just wanted a general check up if you will since I am not the original owner. They quoted me 250.00 with out any repairs needed. Is this high? Should I try to find a local shop that is certified for pentax? Basically Im deployed and I wanted my wife to have the camera checked out before she sent it to me, I cant exactly just pick up a phone and call them direct anytime and I sure don't want a big turn around if it does have an issue as soon as I get it.

JJ
Way to high. I think I would call the posters service center above or C.R.I.S Cameras in Arizona. Unless you need a part I don't think it would be much more than $100. Could be wrong; but Pentax does not repair their own gear they have third parties to do so, C.R.I.S being one of them. Bypass Pentax and hear it from the horses mouth, on the cost!

BTW its always a good idea to have a dSLR checked up after time and use. A dSLR can be out of spec but still perform good enough. My K20D was just tuned up during a warranty repair and CRIS adjusted AF. I did not know AF needed adjusting! I had no problems! But I no longer need to use AF fine tuning on any of my lens except the DA55-300mm which needed 0 before and now needs +5. All other lens are at 0. The kit lens (really the DA18-55mm WR) is much better than before and performs well, a major difference. Seems the body was off a bit from day one, brand new out of the box!

A check-up can't hurt. However if all your lens perform well and you have no problems, then it may be best to save the money, but a check-up if its well within your budget buys a lot of piece of mind that all is OK! . Just go by your judgment