Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Green lines and cast

My K20D just came out of intensive care after a fall and cracked body. Looks and works as good as new, but on random occasions some photos had this green vertical line on the left of the screen and with an exaggerated green cast on green subject matter. They occurred in batches and disappeared after a few photos and reappeared again without any changes in settings. About 15% of photos seems affected. Any ideas?

Thanks

Attached Images

09-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would unfortunately send it back to intensive care (I am assuming Pentax Repair). I would also, send along on a sd card a number of pictures showing what is wrong. The embedded EXIF meta data within the image files (send the original files not ones that you may have modified) may give the technician an indication of what is wrong.

09-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before you send it out, have you had this problem with more than one card? I've seen faulty cards produce this as well.
09-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Some K20Ds were affected by a sensor issue that looked very much like this, but all I've seen had purple instead of green. I'd bet it's the same problem though, in which case it'll need a new sensor.

09-05-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was hoping it could be the card, but it showed on more than one card and hoping against hope checked the RAW ( DNG) files - still there. Will contact the service agents about 1200 miles from here and see what they can offer
09-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was reluctant to send the camera back to repair, since it took all of three months to get it back after the initial insult during peak snapping season and I don't think it is the sensor as such, because the photos taken when the green lines don't show up, were 100%. Saw a thread somewhere about firmware update and updated from version1.01 to 1.04 and the problem has not recurred But it is intermittent. The only common denominator was a lowish ambient temperature, in the high forties ( I know, I know but where I live it is low :ugh: ) and now it is becoming summer going for 80's and 90's and higher. Maybe I should put in a fridge and recheck

If it it comes back I will have to get a K5. Probably cheaper than a new sensor.

Thanks for the replies and congrats on a great forum