Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Problem with BOWER-badged flash unit

As usual, apologies in advance if this subject has been discussed elsewhere:

BOWER SFD926P DEDICATED BOUNCE-FLASH:
I bought this flash unit via eBay for my K10D about 11 months ago, have used it probably four times since then. Last time I tried to use it, it wouldn't fire. Changed the batteries = no luck. Tested other flashes on the same camera = they work fine. The BOWER's symptoms are that it defaults to MANUAL setting regardless of the camera's setting, doesn't detect the lens or the camera, and just won't fire. The TEST button fires ok, so it's not a blown bulb. This sounds like a simple case of a loose connection, but I'm wondering if it's worth getting repaired, or would I be better off buying another flash? This one cost approx. $125.00, so it's at the cheap end, but I had read good reviews of the BOWER for its price range, which is why I went with it. When it worked, it worked very well!

Has anyone else had problems with BOWER units? Should I repair it, try to get it replaced like-for-like, or throw it in the bin and invest in another brand?

Thanks in advance.

09-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #2

I have had great luck with this unit,I used it on my K200d for over a year and it has been on my K-7 now for about 6 months or so.Maybe clean the contacts?
09-07-2011, 03:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
Contacts are spotless, unbent, etc. Can't explain it other than loose wiring. Good to hear you've had a good run with yours. Maybe that makes like-for-like exchange a viable option.
09-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
Contacts are spotless, unbent, etc. Can't explain it other than loose wiring. Good to hear you've had a good run with yours. Maybe that makes like-for-like exchange a viable option.
I have one of the same brand and model (also the Vivitar DF383 is an equivalent, btw) likewise no real problems so far about 9 mths ownership, light usage; so perhaps you are just unlucky striking one with premature failure.
If it's any consolation IMX the Bower seems far more robust than my remaining Yongnuo flash. (had 2 of those, one carked it after only 2 weeks!)

Sorry I can't offer help for your issue but it does sound suspiciously like it could be a minor electronic~circuitry fault, and alas, unlikely to be serviceable.

One point: You mention that even in its Manual mode the flash unit still won't fire, does that mean that it won't even fire when you have the Camera set to its Manual mode too?

.R. -- Living in a throwaway money society is the price we pay for fast-paced consumerism.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 09-10-2011 at 05:13 AM.
09-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

When you put the flash on the camera and tighten it up, are you tightening it up a lot or just enough? On my K20 sometimes I find that the P-TTL won't activate on the flash if I have the flash not exactly in the right place, there seems to be a bit of play in the connection and overtightening it could contribute to the flash not contacting the digital pin on the camera.
09-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
One point: You mention that even in its Manual mode the flash unit still won't fire, does that mean that it won't even fire when you have the Camera set to its Manual mode too?
Correct!

And prior to this problem manifesting, turning on the flash would place it in TTL mode by default, and then it would of course switch to the mode relative to the camera. Now it goes straight to MANUAL mode and stays there regardless of camera settings.

Last edited by marcdsgn; 09-09-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Clarification.
09-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
...overtightening it could contribute to the flash not contacting the digital pin on the camera.
Thanks. I'll test that theory out.