Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery won't switch....

Hi everyone

I have a pentax k10d with the pentax grip. the problem I have is the battery won't automatically change from the dead on to the new one, even though it is set up that way in the menu. as it stands right now, the camera will go dead... then I have to pull out the dead battery in order for the battery with the most juice will turn on the camera
all firmware up to day

thanks

09-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't think the K10D automatically switches to the other battery when one is exhausted. You'll have to turn the camera off and back on for the change to take effect (you don't have to pull the dead battery out however).
09-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Back when I had my k10d I remember that if the camera's internal battery was drained first, the it would sometimes behave erratically even if the battery in the grip had juice. Try setting the battery preference to "grip first".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have run into the same problem. I leave the camera set to use the grip battery first and when the grip battery dies (or as it is dying) I go into the menu and change battery priority to the in camera battery. If I don't then the camera acts erratically when it is turned on and off, probably because the dead battery recovers just enough to register as usable when the camera boots up and then the voltage output drops again under load.

09-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks guys will try this

cheers
09-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I have had my K10 for a couple of years now and had forgotten how I had the battery set up until reading your post. I have the battery grip and have only the one battery there. I got tired of taking the grip off to replace the battery in the body so I only use the grip battery, I have 4 extra batteries that I most always carry with me. It also makes the camera that much lighter. FWIW