Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

If you prefer the handling of the Pentax then I'd say it's the right camera for you. As far as I am concerned all the current DSLRs can take good pictures so the one you are most comfortable using is the right one to choose.

09-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
If you prefer the handling of the Pentax then I'd say it's the right camera for you. As far as I am concerned all the current DSLRs can take good pictures so the one you are most comfortable using is the right one to choose.
That saying is so true, my friend has a Nikon 3100 even after I showed him the differences between that and my K-x(which is similar to a K-r) he still went with Nikon because everyone he ever knew has one. I am just happy for him to be getting a quality DSLR and getting into photography, I can however see a little envy in his face when I get a lens from the pawn shop or garage sale for dirt cheap and just slap it on my Pentax and be able to crank out beautiful shots the same quality as what his Nikon can put out with those expensive lenses, and still have shake reduction.
He is just amazed at how nice my images turn out (after PP) especially after he has seen my images first on the LCD screen on my camera that were in RAW format at the time. He always has his camera set to auto mode and has the format set to JPEG and cannot figure out how aproxamately 80% of my shots are keepers and about 30% of his shots are keepers. I try to explain to him some of the principles of basic photography techniques and the benefits of RAW but it is not sinking in with him, although I am starting to make progress with him to at least set the camera in Program mode which IMHO is WAY better to use than AUTO.
I have managed to get my hands on his camera and I quietly said to my self "I'm sure glad I am with Pentax" Pentax just fits me, Nikon fits my friend and I do admit this 3100 is a nice quality camera but like someone said earlier it seems like Nikon has really limited this camera in a couple of ways, my friend likes it and that is all that matters, if you believe in a system then stick with it.
If I ever feel the need for a full frame camera and if Pentax doesn't step up to the plate on the FF issue then that will be the day I find myself with a Nikon in my hands, and that is the only way I would have one, even though Pentax has been my choice of equipment I still think of "quality" when I think of Nikon, but for APS sensor cameras I wouldn't get one.
09-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
He always has his camera set to auto mode and has the format set to JPEG and cannot figure out how aproxamately 80% of my shots are keepers and about 30% of his shots are keepers
That might have more to do with what he points the camera at than any of the technical issues. My mother never understood anything beyond point and shoot but took some beautiful photos as she had a natural eye for an image. In my view these forums concentrate on the craft and technical aspects of photography pretty much to the exclusion of the artistic, probably because the artistic bits are very hard to express and explain. All the palaver about Image Qualtiy with barely a mention of Image Content...
10-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #19

Original Poster
Hello everybody... i got the K-r this morning, and all i can say is K-r Rocks! I'm very happy with it. Lot of things to try, and to learn...
I'll share some photos tomorrow .... Greetings

10-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Congrats! Here's to hoping you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine. It really is a great camera for its price.

Given your two selections, I think you made the right choice. The K-r beats out the 3100 in just about every spec, and does have great ergonomics compared to the 3100 and T2i (imho).
04-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The image quality of pentax k-x & k-r far exceed the entry level canon cameras (even the mid level ones). The pentax have a built in focus motor--the d3100 and d5100 have no built in motor and therefore you are more limited on your lenses.

I own a k-x right now and if I were to get a non pentax dslr now it would probably have to be the nikon d7000 since it has superior image quality and a built in focus drive.

So good choice on that k-r.
04-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #22

I have experience with different Pentax K-r cameras, all i can say in a nutshell that AF motor failure can rarely occur with them unless the camera is really too old!

04-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great choice, just be warned: have someone watch over your money, cause you'll be wanting to buy lenses soon!
04-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #24

Original Poster
i'm already collecting money for glass!!!
So far, this six months, the k-r delivers and it rocks !
Did a right choise with buying the K-r...
04-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thats great! Also, don't forget to look at the firmware update. You might want it for some better SDHC compatibility and other hidden updates. The camera might already have it, though. Have fun with it.
04-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alyas Quote
I would go for a nikon 3100 body, nikon has more extensive body of lens, pentax kr in body stabilization not as effective as that optical stabilization, AF speed and accuracy goes to the nikon, and pentax lens kits are barely tolerable. Less than one month after I got my pentax kr AF motor failed still within warranty period has been in the pentax repair center since the 3rd of august staff says they are still waiting for spare parts. So save yourself some frustration go for a nikon or a canon.
I call Troll

Now for my Opinion

If it is between the D3100 and the KR it's a no brainer the KR is clearly the superior camera. If as said you look D5100 then it has some advantages as does the D7000. both of which will cost a fair bit more (and the higher end Nikons also offer in body AF - it is the older variant and is needed to use older lenses, the D3100 can't use the old nikon lenses. The KR can use any lens ever made for pentax though for the M42 lenses you will need an adapter
I say Adam's suggestion is excellent. look at a 2 lens kit with the 55-300. If as time passes you decide you want to move to the next level in lenses you can look at where you have shot with the 2 zooms and target your purchase based on that info. If you want to have fun on a budget you should be able to find loads of older manual focus lenses (including a lot of pretty good Soviet M42 lens) cheaply in your area of the world.
04-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Thats great! Also, don't forget to look at the firmware update. You might want it for some better SDHC compatibility and other hidden updates. The camera might already have it, though. Have fun with it.
other hiden updates? please explain What are the benefits of updating the firmware? I looked the changelog .... and the hiden updates are hiden