Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

Optio W90 LCD Display Cracked

Not sure where to post this, but my LCD cracked and am gong to call Pentax tomorrow since it's supposed to be shockproof. In case they tell me it's not covered, I have see a few LCD screens for this sold on eBay and was wondering if anyone knows how hard this would be to replace or if instructions exist anywhere. I really like this camera and would hate to have to throw it away.

Thanks

09-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately I doubt they will cover wear-and-tear / user damage, but I still think it's worth a shot! I'm not sure about screen replacement, but a new camera would probably cost you just as much.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyMan Quote
Not sure where to post this, but my LCD cracked and am gong to call Pentax tomorrow since it's supposed to be shockproof. In case they tell me it's not covered, I have see a few LCD screens for this sold on eBay and was wondering if anyone knows how hard this would be to replace or if instructions exist anywhere. I really like this camera and would hate to have to throw it away.

Thanks
I've been searching internet for answers. So far, I've found nothing for the Optio W90. But, so that you can get an idea of how complicated replacing an LCD screen can be, I found the following links:

For general info and warnings:
Do It Yourself Digital Camera Repair: Repairing or replacing a digital camera LCD screen

Then, these videos are superb. However, they are not in English. It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words. Videos are good enough that I don't miss the words. This is the main link:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=zweige9&view=videos

It opens with a video showing LCD screen replacement for an all-weather Olympus U700. From there, you can click on the video (right side of screen) that you want to see or search for a certain model. The Pentax Optio W90 isn't listed although other Optio models can be viewed. You can at least see replacing an LCD screen.

Hope this helps and good luck! If I can find anything specific to your camera, I will be back!!
09-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. I spoke with a Pentax customer service rep. He couldn't say if they would fix it but suggested I send it in & see if they may cover it under shock proof, so I figured it was worth a try. If not, there is a place in the western suburbs of Chicago that will do the work for $100.

My two biggest fears of doing it myself are knowing that it is waterproof, so heaven knows how it is sealed, and I believe there is a glass cover glued to the LCD screen. Since the LCD itself is cracked i am not sure how getting that glass off would work.