Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #1

dark pictures with my new K-20

Good morning (from Spain), I have just bought a Pentax K-20 and most fo the pictures I make are dark, I use green postion in every option, but this authomatic mode made all the pictures darker than normal. I have made pictures with other automatic machine and the results are very much excellent than those taken by my new K-20. I know than I must be doing something wrong but I do not know what. Can anyone help me please?. Thank you very much in advance.
Carlos.

09-06-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

How do you compare the images? on the camera screen or on the computer screen?
What metering do you use? Spot, Matrix?

Octav
09-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
also, is your exposure compensation set to 0?
09-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
If the exposure compensation refers to EV, this does not work while everything is in green.

09-06-2011, 04:24 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CAFEDE Quote
Good morning (from Spain), I have just bought a Pentax K-20 and most fo the pictures I make are dark, I use green postion in every option, but this authomatic mode made all the pictures darker than normal. I have made pictures with other automatic machine and the results are very much excellent than those taken by my new K-20. I know than I must be doing something wrong but I do not know what. Can anyone help me please?. Thank you very much in advance.
Carlos.
What is "dark"? -1EV? -2EV? -3EV?

What lens are you using?

Post some pics, please.
09-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Please think that I am a beginner, I am using theis objetive: smc pentax-DA 1:4 (22) 16-45mm ED-AL- 65 mm (diameter)
I am attaching some pictures
09-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
The pictures I have attached look a little bit dark, two of them have been made with flash and still they look dark. When I download to my computer (Imac) I can modifie with iphoto and they recover as they should be.
09-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi...
I'd suggest that instead of 'green mode' you read up on metering start to shoot in 'M' or 'Av' modes... Searching this site for books will yield results...

When working with flash shoot in manual and remember that the aperture controls your flash exposure (so if the area you're flashing is to dark... open your aperture) and the shutter-speed controls ambient light (eg, if the background beyond your subject is to bright... quicken your shutter)

09-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Btw, I don't see any pictures.

It's pretty common for newcomers to DSLR's to be surprised that they don't perform the same sort of auto-corrections that some P&S cameras do, to try to make everything look bright, even if that means blowing highlights or violating traditional and international standards for exposure. Without seeing pictures, my guess is you're simply not accustomed to how more professional cameras work.
09-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
CAFEDE, My experience with the green mode and the K20D is similar to yours. The camera pretty consistently under meters the scene. The good news is that the metering is consistent. If I set my exposure about 1 1/2 EV above what the green button wants then I get consistent proper exposures.,