Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x Mirror slap?

Bought my K-x in January of 2010, have 5K clicks on it and have had an ongoing issue with it. The issue is that at certain times (haven't figured out exactly how to reproduce) the mirror activates by pushing any button on the camera. It could be the ISO button, green button, dial, etc. Anything I touch activates the mirror but does not open the shutter. As a result, I can't take a picture. It seems to happen more with the M42 lenses screwed in but has also happened with the DA*50-135. I sent the camera to C.R.I.S and their estimate is $244 to fix by replacing the PCB and aperature control unit.

Has anyone else had this issue? My fear is I spend $244 and 3 months later the same issue crops up a day after the service warranty expires.

I can't believe I have to spend that much money for a camera with 5k images on it and 18 months old. Frustrating as it has not been abused in any way.

Oh, and it will take 4 weeks to repair. Any options out there anyone is aware of?

09-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For that much I might cut my losses and buy another K-x or a K-r.
09-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read about K-x and K-r can feel like as machine guns. K-7 and K-5 are smoothly quiet. Smile
09-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
I read about K-x and K-r can feel like as machine guns. K-7 and K-5 are smoothly quiet. Smile
Not quite the issue the OP is facing. I have not encountered that sort of error in my k-x before.

The K-5's mirror flop seems to be related to the battery voltage. What sort of batteries are you using?

09-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
I've tried Lithium, Alkaline and rechargeable. Nothing seems to make a difference. I've also reloaded the latest firmware a couple of times to no avail.
09-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
I guess my main concern as I have read in other threads that if a board goes bad, something probably caused it. So in my case, would an aperature control unit be a cause of electronic failure?
09-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by olivemike Quote
I guess my main concern as I have read in other threads that if a board goes bad, something probably caused it. So in my case, would an aperature control unit be a cause of electronic failure?
I can't answer for sure - if the contacts on your old lens caused something to short out inside the board, anything is possible.