Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #1

Motocross NEED ADVICE!

I'm planning on practicing some more motocross photos this weekend and i was wondering if i could get some advice on it. I have Pentax K-R with the 18-55 DA L 3.5/5.6 lens and possibiliy grabbing my mothers zoom lens. what do you recomend to use for settings and such.

Thanks

09-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unless you want wide shots, I don't think think the 18-55 is going to be long enough to shoot motocross. What is the other zoom lens?
09-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With motorcross, you are shooting dynamic shots. You will need to use a few tricks to maximise your rate of 'keepers' (good shots).

*Use High shutter speed : 1/1,000s or faster.

*Use Hi continuous shooting.

* AF.C is likely to be needed.

*You may consider also to use MF; first by focusing manually at a particular distance , and then shart shooting a burst before the motorbyke arrive and have a couple of shots in focus.

* If the motorbyke runs parallel to you, consider panning: that is, center the viewfinder on the byke, and follow the byke while shooting. You will need a bit of space around you to turn along and follow the byke.

The above 'tricks' will affect your shooting:

- To control the shuutter speed, you will be best in Tv mode (shutter priority), or full manual, and set up the shutter speed with the dial.

- high shutter speed means that you will need a good light (daylight) or a fast lens (f2.8, f1.8 or even f1.4) if the light is not good (dawn, dusk, storm).

- Hi continuous shooting means that you must setup your camera for JPEG (no RAW) and kill off all the in-camera processing (incl. lens distortion correction, high ISO NR, ...)

- Unless you are very close to the track, you will need a lens longer than 55mm. Possibly 90mm is you are close, or even longer if you are far away.

Hope that the above comments will assist.

Last edited by hcc; 09-08-2011 at 03:44 PM.
09-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That lens is too small.

Equipment:
Motocross Photo Tips from Paul Buckley

Techniques:
Shooting Motocross

You probably you will need a 70-200 or 70-300 lens. An f2.8 lens ideally.

Shooting at shutter priority at least 1/200 or 1/250

Hi continous shooting mode.

09-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Great links psychdoc, always loved Buckley's work.
Mooseychick, that lens is going to be very short but it can be possible to work with. I have posted a link to my flickr Flickr: alcstudios' Photostream. everything in there has been shot with a K7 and the DA*50-135, some pretty heavy crops on some of them too. I purchased a Sigma 50-500 last week and will try it out this weekend and post the results but I have a feeling I'm going to miss the sealing of the DA*.
Best of luck to ya..
Allen
09-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try slow shutter speeds and panning, and faster shutter speeds. Close wide-angle, and telephoto. Review them and see what you like best.
09-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

A lot of good advice so far. Fast shutter speeds and a fairly long lens. I have used a 70-300 for flat track and ice racing and but moto should be similar. This is one of those occasions where a protective UV or Skylight filter is necessary, especially if you are getting close. Position yourself so the wind is blowing the dirt and dust away from you. One of the things you can do with a shorter lens if you can get in close enough is catch the guys at the jumps. A wider lens will enhance the big air jumps and these guys love big air shots.

09-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I remember seeing this while killing time on youtube
how to video : action photography featuring motocross

He's in the UK, so the most important thing is to wear your high-visibility safety vest.

Might be helpful.
09-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the advice. unfortunality in can only use the lens that came with the camera this weekend as my mom is using her lens for football. I have been to this track before i know there are a couple spots that i can stand at the is close to the track. i will probally try your recomendations there. there is also a walking tunnel under one of the jumps you can get a really cool angle there with them in the air.
next year i will be getting a new lens when i can save up a bit of money (weddings are expensive) lol thanks!
09-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
That lens is too small.

Equipment:
Motocross Photo Tips from Paul Buckley

Techniques:
Shooting Motocross

You probably you will need a 70-200 or 70-300 lens. An f2.8 lens ideally.

Shooting at shutter priority at least 1/200 or 1/250

Hi continous shooting mode.

In my humble OP the 18-55 kit can produce some fantastic results ,admittedly one has to to be relatively close to the action .Regarding hi continuous mode, tends to make you lazy and your keep ratio will fall off ,also if it's bright sunny conditions pop on a CPL it'll make the colours of the bike and rider pop and the clouds and blue sky (all adds to the shot).

As for shutter speeds ,i've had results as low as 1/8 ,try and keep in the f5.6 &f8,f10 ,try panning the bikes make sure your parallel and take a wee step back ,i don't like to use too high shutter speed simply because it make the riders look as if they're frozen to the spot .

Hope this helps ... best tip of all ...PRACTICE !!!!!!

I'll shoot over 2,000 shots on any given meeting

Examples taken with 18-55 kit lens (i believe this was the K100D body)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NWIMqNcpBKfd07lG0dUBLA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qIyC__zSsVeqihLU4ooqiQ?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p22bYt_aju1Ag-oX7vOTiQ?feat=directlink

I think these work , in fact i sold these shots to the riders

Last edited by melness; 09-10-2011 at 01:42 AM.
09-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melness Quote
In my humble OP the 18-55 kit can produce some fantastic results
Nice pics there.
09-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Thanks ,just recently purchased the DA 35 f2.4 AL so i'm kinda keen to try it out on MX the focusing is so fast on it and it's pin sharp wide open
09-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #13

If you can get fairly close to the track, the 18-55 lens will be enough. And I agree with specialk, try slower shutter speeds and panning. I usually use 1/125 or 1/250. That will cause the bike to be sharp but everything else will have motion blur-makes it look like the bike is moving fast. And the slower shutter speed will put some blur in the wheels, making it look even more like an action photo.

And if you can, get just the bike in the air in the frame on the jumps-no ground, trees, or anything else.
09-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I went to the '09 Supercross here in St. Louis, and used a Takumar 200mm manual focus lens, and got some decent panning shots ( my first attempt at panning, so lots of crap shots too, haha ).