Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

"Copyright deposit" in CANADA?

Not quite sure where this should be, but it didn't seem to fit the "general photography" criteria...
I have a meeting tomorrow with a stock agency person regarding a contract.
Among other specifications for image submission, their guidelines state "copyright deposit recommended".
I've googled, & I've looked at the Intellectual Property Office's site, & have just tried downloading "a guide to copyrights" but my computer won't open it. I also couldn't see what the application form looked like without creating a username & registering.
Can anyone who's done this, offer a quick how-to? What steps did you follow?
I see it's $50. Is that for a batch of photos? Or each one? So each time I want to send a batch of photos to the agency, I have to register them for another $50? Do I have to do that before I send them anything, or can I send them pictures for review & then copyright any they want to use? I saw something about, you don't have to send the item itself to register... so how do you register photos?
I'll be asking the agency guy about this, but didn't want to sound like a complete idiot... Just never dealt with an agency or had to copyright my pix before.
Thanks for any help.

(P.S. Canada... no U.S.-related procedure please!)

09-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

Alliecat:
If memory serves me correctly, you can "batch register" copyright your photos and possibly do it for a whole year of photos.

Not sure on it though, so ask the registrar a lot of questions.

It would be wise to copyright -- before --- you send the photos out though.

You might have a look at this link --> CAPIC - The Canadian Association of Professional Image Creators, Canadian Photographers, Canadian Illustrators, Photographers, Illustrators, Photography, Illustration --- to get more info.

Hope this helps you out.

Best regards:
09-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've never dealt with a stock photo outfit, so I can't attest to their procedures at all. What I can say is that your images are copyright protected the second you push the shutter release. AFAIK, registering your work with a copyright registrar just makes it easier to prove the work is yours, down the road, should it become necessary. The law applies to all works you create, registered or not.

Verify everything I've said with a better source before deciding your course. I'm still learning about this stuff too.
09-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Philoslothical

You own what you create the instant you create it.

However, since you are now "publishing" the images, having them registered is a worthwhile process.

I too have read that you can batch process the regestration.

I would also recommend that you do this independantly of the stock agency, simply for the purpose of ensuring that they do not claim any rights or comissions outside of the agency fee in terms of their representation of you and your images.

09-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigghh... has anyone actually done this?
I e-mailed the copyright office & got a rather unhelpful reply, pointing out that images are copyright when they are created; they didn't read the part where I explained this was at the agency's recommendation... They said "
a copyright registration covers each individual work, and there is no blanket-type registration for several works created over the years by one author. Normally each ...photograph, ... etc., is considered a separate work and requires a separate application and fee. However, if you are registering a compilation of works such as a book of poems, artwork, ...etc., you may register the compilation as one work for one fee."
Great...
Where does this batch registering idea come from? The States? Also there is nothing on the online form to send an actual copy, & apparently you don't even have to. Agency dude didn't seem to know either! Said he 'thought' their photographers did it by mail & attached a contact sheet. Which costs more than doing it online.
I suppose I'll have to try to get someone there on the phone after all.
Anyone have any experience to contribute here?