Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
setting Q

iv got a Km been shooting a while now but want some advice on 2 lots of setting i shoot a few track days been using presets but want to try manual settings please also trying to shoot the moon setting for that to please

09-11-2011, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Punctuation and grammar translate:

I have a Km, and, while I've been shooting for a while, I could use some advice on camera settings for two specific conditions.

1. I shoot a few track days. I've been using presets, but I'd like to try some manual settings. Any advice?

2. I'd also like to have a try at taking shots of the moon. Again, any advice would be appreciated.
09-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Teaching english to englishman... Next day you will probably bring some owls to Athens. :-)

To OP: I'm not sure whether manual settings are necessary for track days, Maybe better if you change the metering mode, of program line. For moon I suggest to use spot metering.
09-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

For motorsports, try panning: An Introduction to Panning in Motorsports | Tips

Another good idea is to buy a pit pass. Lots of good photos back there.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
its call being dyslectic smart arse never got an olevel in english sorry as for the sensible answers thanks
09-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera's exposure meter will not handle the moon very well. Unless you have a very long telephoto lens, the moon doesn't take up enough of the frame for the meter to notice. If the moon is alone in the night sky, it's extremely bright compared to its surroundings. With a lens around 400-500mm, you can use the spot meter. There are some sites that have suggestions and calculations. I just guess until it looks right with a lens I haven't used before. With my usual lens, I look up what I used before and start there.

There are two general kinds of moon shots: the moon by itself, and the moon with other stuff in the frame. The moon by itself looks small, until maybe 800-1000mm. With a 200-500mm lens, you can crop and keep reasonable detail. The full moon is a little boring because it's harder to see detail. This example is with my Tamron Adaptall-2 500mm f8 mirror lens, cropped at least 50%. It's at ISO 100, 1/20 sec., f8 since that's the only choice, on a tripod.

One way to make the moon's size more impressive is to include other elements in the frame. It is more difficult because the moon is usually rising or setting at the time, light is probably changing fast, and again, the meter wil not account for the moon. This example is at 400mm, f6.7, 1/250, ISO 200, handheld (with no SR), no cropping. I tried something similar just last night and the difference between the moon exposure and foreground elements was too great, over 4 stops. It's difficult to get the moon and stars in the same shot because of the moon's brightness. You need a wide angle lens and to overexpose the moon, or paste the moon in from another shot.

The moon will move pretty quickly across the frame at 400mm or more. A slow shutter speed will mean motion blur. Generally it's not an issue unless it's an eclipse, as the moon is bright enough to use faster speeds.

I prefer to shoot RAW so I can adjust the white balance for a good color on the moon and make other adjustments.

Atmosphere, pollution and wind will affect sharpness. Pollution acts like a filter, good and bad. I like to shoot after some rain which clears up the air. Humidity isn't a problem here.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 09-11-2011 at 05:50 PM.
09-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The bright part of the moon is in full sunlight, so an exposure for a sunny day will capture it. F11 at 1/125 ISO 200 or F8 at ISO 100.

For sports I would favor shutter priority mode or TAv. If I remember correctly, the Km makes nice photos at ISO 400. I would set my ISO as high as I could get nice images, then set the camera in Sv mode with as high a shutter speed as my lens will allow.
09-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
cheers for your advice guys with the moon im getting a white blob
with the sports shots they seem dark

Last edited by Rusky40; 09-12-2011 at 05:39 AM.
09-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusky40 Quote
cheers for your advice guys with the moon im getting a white blob
Sounds like you're over exposing... Speed up your shutter...
200mm is the longest lens I own (DA50-200) and at f8 I've taken some good shots of the moon (although they have had to be cropped)... It's going to come down to practice...

As for your sports shots coming out dark... I assume you're trying to freeze the action... Try...

Set aperture between wide-open (f5.6ish depending on your lens) and f11 Raise your ISO (although you risk digital noise the higher you set it) to achieve a fast enough shutter to freeze the action(1/500 maybe faster)... If it's dark then open the aperture a stop and try again... If it's blown-out drop your ISO...
Again, its going to come down to practice...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusky40 Quote
ts call being dyslectic smart arse never got an olevel in english sorry as for the sensible answers thanks
I'm heavily dyslexic too... Dyslexia in this day and age can not be used as an excuse for poor communication and certainly shouldn't hold you back...
My teachers at school missed it completely and I didn't do well either... 15 years on I'm now at university doing a BA honours in English Literature...
Try shortening your sentences... Reading what you've written... And using your web-browsers spell checker...

All the best and good luck with the photography :-)

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 09-12-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: missed info
09-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some photos to give you an idea of the moon's size in the frame at different focal lengths. These are not cropped. The first picture is at 200mm, then 300mm, 400mm and 500mm.

Lenses are the Vivitar/Komine 200mm f3.5, SMC Pentax 300mm f4, Tokina SD 400mm f5.6 and Tamron 500mm f8 mirror.
09-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
dave
when i was at school they just told us i was thick and put me in remeadial english i can communicate no worries as u sound like u are doing well its i can only spell as it sounds my poor mum bless her went grey cos of my spelling and reading as for the spell check o trust me that's on u enjoying uni

Last edited by Rusky40; 09-13-2011 at 03:10 AM.