Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Image looks like a polarising filter was used

For some reason a set of my photos (80+) appeared to have been taken through a polarizing filter - see example. All of these photos were taken on an infield tour at an airport on a very sunny day around the noon hour. I shot from a car through an open window using a Pentax K-x and kit 18-55 lens, no filter. A clue might be that I put a fresh memory card in and noticed later that instead of it being an SDHC it was a plain old SD. No problem with my other card before. All these photos were saved on the plain SD card. Any reason why there should be such a darkening of the sky? One problem for me is that the video on my computer is acting up and I see a lot of graduation lines in the sky instead of a smooth gradient, so I am not sure if that is a fault as well.

Attached Images
File Type: psd problem_photo_cs-001.psd (1.64 MB, 254 views)
09-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Check your histogram. All it looks like is you've underexposed by quite a bit.
09-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you ave highlight / shadow correction on? That could mess with your exposure in an attempt to avoid blown highlights or blacked out low-lights.
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #4

The EXIF data shows -0.7 EV. This would explain some of the underexposure.

09-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I just brightened it with levels, and it looks fine. I think it's just underexposed.
09-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, all. I DID quickly notice while shooting that the histogram was on the dark side, but there was so much going on (I got a chance to be in a three-car police-led convoy across the secure side of an airport) I didn't want to look down and change settings. It was when I looked at these images on my primary computer they looked real bad. Now I've looked at them on another computer they are not so bad. On my bad computer the deep blue sky wasn't a smooth gradation but a series of bands or steps from almost black at the top. I was just looking for an excuse for a new computer.......
09-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
On my bad computer the deep blue sky wasn't a smooth gradation but a series of bands or steps from almost black at the top. I was just looking for an excuse for a new computer.......
Sounds like that computer is set to display 16 bit colour. Switch it to 32 bit and you should see a huge improvement, although it won't fix any brightness or contrast issues - you'll need to adjust them separately, either through buttons on the monitor, or software that came with your video card (or both).
09-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
It is set to 32-bit. There are other video issues as well but this is a new issue.

09-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, it was worth checking. Lowered colour depth is the most common cause of that kind of banding/pixelation effect.

You might also want to check and possibly replace your monitor's cable, if possible.
09-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
You might also want to check and possibly replace your monitor's cable, if possible.
I had a "sky banding" issue and it was solved by a new cable.