Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K7 or K5 Big difference?

I have decided to go for a Pentax DSLR since I have 5 M42 lenses that I can use. Is the K5 THAT much better than the K7? For the money?

Thanks

09-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes...
09-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes indeed.
09-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, that sums it up nicely! Thanks

09-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The body is the same - same size, displays, viewfinder, shutter, etc. So handling is the same, the optional grip is the same, etc.

The AF is different, supposed to be better, but as with all AF systems, it is not perfect and instant. They've added some features, like more user modes. I'm not sure if the GPS accessory works with the K-7. Video might be better in some way.

The main improvement is the sensor. Not the 2 megapixels more, the high ISO ability and the increased dynamic range. It's a really good sensor. The K-7's sensor is not bad but pales in comparison. At ISO 800 or more, K-5 photos will start to look better, and the gap widens as ISO increases.
09-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, yes it is better. Is it that much better for the money? Depends on you. I choose the K-7 myself over the K-5 mainly because of the price, and I have not regretted the dicission. The K-7 is a fine camera. Yes the AF of the K-5 is faster they say, but for me the one in the K-7 is fast enough, even for the sports I shoot. The High ISO is better on the K-5, but then again, I do 99% in B&W anyway, so I do not mind the noise at all. And the Noise isn't that bad if you know how to expose with the K-7.

So basicly is the K-5 that much better that the K-7 for the money? It all depends on what you need for yourself
09-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The AF in the K-5 is better but you may not care unless you get AF lenses.

The sensor of the K-5 is much improved over the K-7 as far as low light IQ. I owned a K-7 for a short while but was spoiled by the sensor performance of my K-x so I was dissatisfied with the K-7 images in the shadow areas.

For example take a look at this thread - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/157549-shutterbug-gives-...-review-2.html
In post #19 with a K-7 by tony3d there is a nice shot of a car steering wheel in daylight, but if you look under the dash in the shadow areas there is noise in the shadows.
You will not see that from a K-5.

Last edited by crewl1; 09-13-2011 at 11:11 AM.
09-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The only advantage of K-7 is the slighty shorter shutter lag.
09-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-7s can be had for a good price used. The ergonomics are fantastic, same as the K-5. I think you would be very satisfied with it, but if you have money to burn the K-5 is a no brainer.
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The body is the same - same size, displays, viewfinder, shutter, etc. So handling is the same, the optional grip is the same, etc.

The AF is different, supposed to be better, but as with all AF systems, it is not perfect and instant. They've added some features, like more user modes. I'm not sure if the GPS accessory works with the K-7. Video might be better in some way.

The main improvement is the sensor. Not the 2 megapixels more, the high ISO ability and the increased dynamic range. It's a really good sensor. The K-7's sensor is not bad but pales in comparison. At ISO 800 or more, K-5 photos will start to look better, and the gap widens as ISO increases.

Absolutely. My wife and i were walking around the other evening at sunset with our kids. She had our K5 and I had a K7. She shot until we left the park, whereas, I was done when the light levels dropped. I just couldn't push up my iso enough to compensate without my photos looking pretty sad.

The K7 is a really nice camera, it just doesn't have the dynamic range and ability to do high iso that the K5 has. You'd be surprised how often that is helpful in every day shooting.
09-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you go back in time and look at each "pro" body from pentax with the exception of the k10 which went backwards in dynamic range, every camera has had some improvement in dynamic range over the previous model the k10 has the smallest DR of the lot, the k20 was a big improvement over k10 the k7 marginal over K20 and k5 big step over k7

I own all but the k20 and can see the differences and still use them all even the *istD.

What you forget is that even with it's poor dynamic range and high iso noise even the k10 is way ahead of film.
09-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to carry two bodies, one with ISO 100 and the other with ISO 400.
09-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I used to carry two bodies, one with ISO 100 and the other with ISO 400.
Me Too, and I still carry 2 bodies, one with a long lens and one with a not so long lens.

My upgrade approach has always been to retain my old gear as a second body / back up.
09-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The K-5 not only has better high ISO performance, it has a noticeably wider dynamic range. If I remember right, the K-5 has the about same dynamic range at 800 ISO as the K-7 at 100. That's significant. Also, K-5 raw files can be shot in 14bit, as opposed to the K-7's 12 bit, which gives more information in the image files. The files that the K-7 produces are good. In good light, there will be little difference. With photos taken in less than ideal light, the extra information that the K-5 captures gives a lot more room for tweaking the image. The K-5 sensor really is the best APS-C sensor around today.
09-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Which one will you choose, a the current k-5 or a k-5 with a cropped sensor. The reason why I ask this is that most people tend to crop their shots anyway.

The impression i get is that most people will like to own a full frame. But if all the specs and performance are the same why will you still go with a full-frame instead of a cropped sensor.