Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

K-X not taking photos in Manual Mode

Hi all, so I'm having a little trouble with my camera. I was messing with the ISO, shutter speeds and aperture settings yesterday and went I went to take a photo today, nothing was coming up on the display screen afterwards. I reset all the settings because I thought that might be the problem, but it didn't help. The weirdest part is that when I'm in auto mode, the pictures come out fine. Any suggestions?

09-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What lens(es)? Did you press the Green button to meter? Did you maybe accidentally set the ISO to 100, shutter to 1/8000, aperture to f/32? That will guarantee some black frames! I'll suggest that when you chimp those black frames, hit the Info button -- or if you've moved them to your computer already, check the EXIF data -- and see just what the settings were. Good luck!
09-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vcu123 Quote
nothing was coming up on the display screen afterwards.
What does it show on the screen, completely black or white? There's a good chance the setting you have on manual mode is either severely underexposed or over exposed depending on what it shows on the screen. You can also try and take a picture of subject in auto mode then view the photo and do as what RioRico suggested and press the info button to look at the exif data. (ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, Etc.) Copy those settings in Manual mode then take a picture of the same subject with the same lighting condition and see how it comes out....hope this helps.
09-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Search Google for "understanding exposure" and then please return with an answer about what you are doing wrong. You don't have to reset the settings to get exposure right.

09-19-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Did you flick the switch by the lens from 'auto' to 'manual'? I forgot to do that once and spent ten minutes swearing at my camera....
09-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
Did you flick the switch by the lens from 'auto' to 'manual'? I forgot to do that once and spent ten minutes swearing at my camera....
This would only be an issue if your using catch in focus or using in focus shutter release priority.