Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #1

advise on my ME Super PLEASE

Hi guys, It is my first time on this forum so hello to you all. I am a student and I have just purchaced a pentax ME Super for my course work.
The instructions say to set the shutter speed dial to 125X when loading the film. The problem I have is that the dial wont turn to the 125X or the B positions. As a newbie I would appreciate any help/advice/guidance. Thank you in anticipitation.
Jim.

09-14-2011, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The white button on the dial must be firmly depressed while rotating the dial to the 125X position. Hope this helps. Cliff
09-14-2011, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Took me a few minutes to realise this as well. Works fine now
09-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have tried that Cliff. I wrks for the lock auto and manual settings but wont turn to the others even with button depressed....... confused.com!!
Jim.

09-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Jim, on my ME super, once I get the dial to the M setting, I no longer have to keep the white button depressed to rotate to the 125X and B setting. There are however distinct stops/detents for each setting. If possible are you able to return it to the seller for a demonstration. It is also possible that the grease under the dial has dried and no longer allows movement to 125X & B settings. The best I can do..........Clliff
09-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's too bad Jim. I'm sure you want a fully-functional camera for your class, but if you can't return it 125x isn't required to load the film. Remember you can turn the dial to M and advance the film a couple of times using a higher shutter speed if needed.
09-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
It is also possible that the grease under the dial has dried and no longer allows movement to 125X & B settings. The best I can do..........Clliff
What Cliff said could help you.

Here's my experience. The thin collar around shutter button is the nut to hold shutter dial. If it is too tight, changing dial to different mode will be hard (besides a locking mechanism for "Auto"). If it is too loose, you will only get one shutter speed, "B", no matter what mode you turn to.

With a right tool, you can loose that collar and remove the dial to clean. And then reassemble. Or simply adjust the tightness. It is pretty straightfoward but you need the right tool.

I have done this on two ME Supers and in the end they are all functioning correctly.

And you don't have to turn it to 125X to load film.

Hope this helps.
09-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the previous owners probably took the dial off, lost the bearing that made the clicks and the spring that tensioned the bearing, then put it back together so it almost works.

09-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Forum Member

That was my 1st "real" camera many yrs ago when I was a college student - took lots of great pics w/it & that's what lead me to buy my K-x & I can even interchange many of my lenses! I still have & love my ME-Super on those rare ocassions when I just wanna shoot film! Love a camera that's small, lightweight, simple, all mechanical, does great metering, & takes good pictures + the tiny battery can last a decade & you don't have to "turn it on" lol!
09-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Jim, is the selector tight and flush with the deck of the top? If the slotted lock ring around shutter release button is loose, then the entire selector will wobble. If someone improperly re-installation of the selector as Dave indicated, that may place the control rod of the selector in the wrong position and internally pushing the levers in the wrong place... also, is the Auto actually giving you automatic and is M giving you the ability to push the buttons for different speeds? A missing selector pin and spring under the selector dial should not cause what you described on the ME Super, but slipping the selector down without removing the entire upper shell would.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-30-2011 at 01:46 AM.
09-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #11
Forum Member

Yes, it's always been fairly snug (requires thumb & finger to turn, always has) & not loose at all. I'm the orig. owner so I can say it works like it did new. it "locks" in "Auto" requiring holding the tiny white button down to leave Auto, but then can be turned (w/thumb & finger) between all other posns. w/o holding down white button. I've mostly left in Auto (Manual-Av mode on my DSLR) so it's never received a lot of wear & tear. I hope u can get your's working, maybe take to a camera or watch/jewelry shop, b/c it's a great camera model imho! The only thing I ever needed 125x for was flash - i always forgot to switch when loading film, then the shutter would stick open (longest exposure), but turning it to something else or taking off cover & pointing at bright light would unstick it, so no biggie there, just follow the instructions builttospill posted, if u still can't get to 125x. Good luck!
09-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
Forum Member

Oh, I did do a "Bulb" shot one time, see here, lol: Aggie Photography The Blog of Wildstar, aka Jimpossible