Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #1

Corroded Batteries

I have a Pentax A3000 35mm film camera that has not been used in approximately 4 years now. I pulled it out of the closet to check it out. I noticed that it would not power on so I went to replace the AA batteries and the old ones were corroded. I got the old batters out and cleaned the compartment and used a pencil eraser to clean the contact. I then installed fresh batteries and the camera will not power on.

Any suggestions about what is wrong and how to fix it? It been a great camera and I would like to use it again.

Thanks, gbh

09-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Are the terminals able to shine from the eraser or are they still discolored and dark?

If possible, clean with a little baking soda-vinegar.
If it is really badly cooked and dark or corroded and eaten looking, then you should tape a bud of steel wool to that pencil and at this point to get some sort of metal to see if it will power up.
Otherwise, if the battery acid and been able to flow deep into the board where the contacts were soldered to, then possibly the wires to the board was eaten away and need to be replaced.