Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens mount cover (owner's manual confusion)

I just got my K-5 and as it's my first non-point and shoot so I am trying to form good habits from the beginning. On page 59 of the manual it says "Be sure to put the lens down with the lens mount facing upward to protect the lens mount from damage." But the image shows the lens mount down.

Do they mean do not put the lens mount down when the cover is off?

I'm pretty confident this is a stupid question but I want to make sure I understand what they're telling me to do. So far the camera's awesome! Here's one of my first pics, camera boxes freshly opened are in the background.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting question. I had to look at the manual to see what they were saying. What they mean is don't put the lens mount side down when it's not got it's cover on. That's what's shown in the first image. Hmmmm...never read that or bothered with that. It's actually kinda hard to do anyway with out the cover on. No worries, you've got it right. Wow, the K5 is a big jump from a P&S camera. Depending on your photography background, you have a lot to learn. If there is a local camera store, adult ed, or community college teaching a basic photography class, take it. Also try shooting in manual mode, it's the fastest way to learn to control and understand exposure (by this I mean balancing ISO, f-stop, and shutter speed).

Best of luck with you new friend.
09-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I can't imagine putting the lens mount down without a cover but wanted to make sure. I'm getting the hang of it but am mostly just happy to be able to shoot without long shutter delays and also be able to narrow the depth of field. It's awesome how easy it is to control aperture and speed with the dials. Haven't quite gotten the hang of selecting the focus points yet.

I've been using P mode but on your suggestion will go all the way to M. Thanks.
09-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I used P mode with my first DSLR K10d in 2008 for quite a while. Manual mode is a good teacher of exposure and very useful in many lighting situations (like low light for example). With P mode read the manual about setting the program line preference, for me, it's the other half of P mode use (actually setting the program line is important to other modes too). These days I shoot mostly in Av mode but that's just my favorite place. Learn all of the Pentax modes, they are very helpful in various situations.

Focus points...the simple way to approach them is to leave it in auto, so that it focuses across the entire image, then when you have a situation where that wont focus the way you want it, change to spot focus and focus the image on the center of the viewfinder. That's the quick way to approach this. The rest will follow with time.

09-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forums and to the K5 Club!

Blackcloudbrew has answered your cap question about lens placement. He has also suggested using M mode to learn about using the camera and it's a good suggestion. You don't have to live there but once you understand what your camera actually Sees, you'll be able to master it much more quickly. P mode is a mode that ties the semi auto modes into one dial setting (Aperture Priority (Av), Shutter Priority(Tv)), usually with ISO set at auto. TAv is full manual mode with auto ISO. M mode allows you to control everything. In the post linked below, I try to explain a quick and dirty way of using M mode to see as the camera sees.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13842...ml#post1447073

09-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ok, I figured out my focusing issue: I was trying to select a focus point while holding the viewfinder up to my eye. Made it very hard to press the right buttons. But it's pretty easy if you do it while looking at the display screen on the back. In any case, I think the spot focus method you describe is MUCH easier than fiddling with the focus points in almost all handheld situations.

I agonized over the decision between a P&S and a K110D way back when. I probably made the right decision years ago but now it's time for a better camera

Thanks again.
09-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ubizubi Quote
Ok, I figured out my focusing issue: I was trying to select a focus point while holding the viewfinder up to my eye. Made it very hard to press the right buttons. But it's pretty easy if you do it while looking at the display screen on the back. In any case, I think the spot focus method you describe is MUCH easier than fiddling with the focus points in almost all handheld situations.

I agonized over the decision between a P&S and a K110D way back when. I probably made the right decision years ago but now it's time for a better camera

Thanks again.
No reason you can't do this with your eye to the view-finder, in fact it's really what a DSLR is all about - operating the camera with it to your eye

You have set up the diopter adjustment?
09-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Great start. Your first shot includes all the essential elements: a cat and a quilt. You'll do fine.
Being an old rangefinder camera guy, I prefer to use the center point for focus: select the area I want sharpest in the center, press the release until it focuses and hold it there, then shift the view for the framing I want. Very fast and reliable as you get used to it. (I actually prefer manual focus, but these viewfinders aren't as exact for that as the older film cameras.)

09-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

When I remove a lens from my dSLR, I always place the items so the camera is face down and the lens is mount down. This is so they don't fill up with excess photons. Nothing is more annoying than having to flush-out excess photons before mounting a lens. On a related note: Don't shoot where many many others have used cameras. Such locales are photon depletion zones, where so many photons have been captured and removed that an imbalance occurs at the quantum level. This results in a drainage of photons from your camera and lens, needing a fresh infusion before you can shoot again. What a bother!
09-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
When I remove a lens from my dSLR, I always place the items so the camera is face down and the lens is mount down. This is so they don't fill up with excess photons. Nothing is more annoying than having to flush-out excess photons before mounting a lens. On a related note: Don't shoot where many many others have used cameras. Such locales are photon depletion zones, where so many photons have been captured and removed that an imbalance occurs at the quantum level. This results in a drainage of photons from your camera and lens, needing a fresh infusion before you can shoot again. What a bother!
Oh, that's why sunrise is a good time to take photos.
09-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Great advice! Do I have to wear my tin foil cap when changing the lens?