Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #1

K-m mirror freeze

I have a K-m with a specific problem, so I was wondering if any of the technical types can shed any light on it.
I disassembled this body in order to replace the IR-blocking filter with an IR-passing 830nm filter. It worked fine on reassembly, but the foam plastic mask that goes around the filter was slightly crooked.

I took it apart and rectified this problem, and on reassembly everything worked fine except for the following problem:

On pressing the shutter button the mirror flips up and the shutter fires. If flash is selected then the flash fires with the shutter. However, the mirror doesn't go back down again - it needs the batteries to be popped for it to 'finish' the operation and drop the mirror back to normal On putting the batteries back in it then does one full mirror flip as the camera is switched on.

If I go into debug mode and use 'release aging' it will run the full mirror/shutter sequence repeatedly, so it probably isn't a mechanical problem.

When the mirror goes up and the shutter fires the camera is 'frozen', no buttons work and turning the power switch to 'off' has no effect. While the mirror is up there is a faint noise, maybe the SR operating or maybe from whatever holds the mirror up. No image is written to the card, presumably due to the camera being frozen as soon as the shutter has fired.

I've since completely disassembled the body and put it back together with particular care with seating ribbon cables, but the symptoms are the same. Full reset hasn't done anything either.

I understand that such gentle butchery of a camera isn't always going to turn out well, but if anyone can think of what might cause those symptoms I'm all ears!

09-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

[bump]

Hay folks, it's been almost a week! Does anybody have any good suggestions here?
09-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks RioRico. I've now rebuilt it once more and still no joy. I suspect that something on the main board got too hot for comfort - there are some awkward spots for soldering. I've given up on that one, and will be retrieving the 830nm filter for use in my second K20D conversion.
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi.
I have the same problem with my K-m and it has not been disassembled.
Hope that someone kan come up with a hint.
Have send a mail to Pentax repair servicecenter to get a price on rep. but have not heard from them yet.

03-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Well, Pentax will se the camera, they won't say anything abut a price for repair. If I don't want the repair it will cost me £50.
Anyone here in the forum who knows anything abut this fault?