Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dent repair tool

Unfortunately I dropped my camera yesterday. Murhpy's law applied I had my favorite lens (K50/1.2) on the camera. Luckily the only damage is a small dent in the filter thread and a broken lens cap. I read the previous discussions about dent removal and surfed the web. I stumbled over a tool for dent removal: New Pro Lens Dent Repair Tool RV-01 4x5 5x7 8x10 Camera | eBay
Has anybody experience with such a tool? Is it worth a try or might it worsen the situation?

09-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never seen that tool but it looks like it might work. I think you'd have a better chance of this working if you had a steel ring to fit around the outside of the thread ring, so the tool doesn't push the opposite side out and make it oblong, or worse crack your front element from stress. If you buy the tool let us know how it works.
09-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidw0815 Quote
Unfortunately I dropped my camera yesterday. Murhpy's law applied I had my favorite lens (K50/1.2) on the camera. Luckily the only damage is a small dent in the filter thread and a broken lens cap. I read the previous discussions about dent removal and surfed the web. I stumbled over a tool for dent removal:
Has anybody experience with such a tool? Is it worth a try or might it worsen the situation?
OK, my advice, Murphy aside: it all depends on the syntax...

1. If it is a genuine 50/(f)1.2 (like you have written) then they're fairly rare, valuable and highly prized; and I strongly suggest that you take it to a good lens technician/repair-shop and pay for their valuable skills & experience, and proper workshop equipment to handle the repair - it will be worth it.

2. If you inadvertently typed a period in place of a colon, meaning that it's only a humble 50/(f)2 ("1:2" implies f2), then they're still pretty common and inexpensive second hand so probably not even worth the cost (and bother) of buying the eBay tool to repair it.

The Repair Tool: Nah sorry, I've not used one like that and it's always hard to tell from mere descriptions and pics isn't It? But seems they're on the right track for a hand (repair) tool anyway although my engineering background tells me its design (and manufacture), warrants small but vital improvements here and there... which should add little extra to the cost, btw. And I personally wouldn't buy, or use it on my lenses in it's present state. Aluminium is touchy stuff to work with, esp. in lighter gauges and delicate forms (as with lenses and fine threads, etc.), so can be very fragile and unforgiving if not understood - meaning it's too easy to do irrepairable damage...
Iow: I give it an E for effort. - let's see the Mk II version first.

.R. -- Syntax (n): That tax we all pay for not being good.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 09-18-2011 at 09:50 AM.
09-18-2011, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Unfortunately I dropped my camera yesterday. Murhpy's law applied I had my favorite lens (K50/1.2) on the camera. Luckily the only damage is a small dent in the filter thread and a broken lens cap. I read the previous discussions about dent removal and surfed the web. I stumbled over a tool for dent removal: New Pro Lens Dent Repair Tool RV-01 4x5 5x7 8x10 Camera | eBay
That's a lot of money for a one-trick pony that may or may not work. I don't know if you have seen the repair method that's floating around on the 'net where you gently tap out the dent, I can tell you that it works well enough to mount a filter back on it but there isn't much you can do about the cosmetics.

You will need a jig saw with a fine toothed wood cutting blade, some 3/4 inch thick plywood. Place the lens down on a piece of paper (face down) and trace the outline of the filter ring. Transfer the tracing to the plywood and cut out the circle, then cut the plywood minus the circle in half and secure the halves to another piece of plywood. These two halves become the anvil/cradle for the lens to rest on and secured to. Get some wooden chopsticks or popsicle sticks and sand down one tip to conform to the inner filter ring, place the contoured tip against the damaged filter ring secured to the plywood cradle and gently start tapping the dent out. Whatever you do, don't try to tap it out all at once. Depending on the extent of the damage you might tap the centre of the damaged ring a few times then on either ends of the damaged ring, and gradually move the tapping action to the centre. It's going to take a lot of patience and time on your part tapping on the damaged ring but eventually you will have a serviceable filter mount again.

Hope this helps,

09-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I already read about the 'tapping out' method but I have some worries concerning my skills and patience.

@Hypocorism:
Sadly, it's no typo. I damaged my SMC Pentax 1:1.2 50 mm lens... That's why I haven't started a brute force repair attempt resulting in total loss. Tomorrow I'll check what the local camera store will take for the repair. Regarding your syntax theory I'm not sure if I should be worried (that I've been so bad that it hit my K50) or happy (that it didn't hit my FA* 85 mm).

I just noticed an other thing: The lens makes a rattling noise when shaken. Sounds like the aperture. Didn't noticed/checked that before the accident. Now I'm worried that is an other consequence of the fall. I took some photos with the lens and so far it seems to work fine.
09-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one similar to that and I've never been able to make it work. The difference between that one and mine is mine has a different crank mechanism. One that some real torque can be applied to. Not a wingnut.

09-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for your replies. I already read about the 'tapping out' method but I have some worries concerning my skills and patience.
You don't need much skill to hammer gently with a small mallet on top of a wooden stick. As for patience, it's the difference between mucking up a $400.00~500.00 lens or saving it. Everything really hinges upon how well you cut out the half circle cradle/anvil. If the cut is too small, there can be a void under the part of the ring to be hammered and if the cut is too large, the lens cannot be secured as easily and the lens can roll around if your hammering action is not perpendicular to the damaged area. I'd wager a lens service person will probably end up doing what I've described to fix the bent filter ring, instead of using that tool because it took a heavy impact to damage the filter ring and it will take lots of small impacts to straighten the ring to a reasonable facsimile of it's original state.

If you were in my area, I'd be glad to do it for you for no fee except it will take a few weeks because I will 'test' the lens very thoroughly to make sure it's been fixed.
09-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
You don't need much skill to hammer gently with a small mallet on top of a wooden stick.
Seems easy the way you describe it. I'm going to build the cradle and depending how well it fits I'll give it a try.
If I were anywhere near Vancouver I would gratefully give the lens to you for the repair - even if it takes several weeks. It's a really great lens - fast, sharp, great bokeh, fun to use and did I mention fast?

09-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've undented a few dents but never on anything that costly. Depending on the size of the dent, I alternate between using pliers (of appropriate width) with heavy cloth over the ends, and tapping a dowel or cut-off broom-handle with a hammer. The pliers to get the shape about right; the dowel-hammering to get the rounding right.