Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

under exposure on auto function

Hi Everyone
On my K100D as said before ... is a bit old and maybe needs replacement , but before going down that road ..

Since last week when taking pic's on auto the exposure seems a little low, ie dark pictures.
Ive searched for similar problems and found that changing the memory card seemed the general response but not even this worked .

However when turning to the manual function I do get proper exposure but as I've been slightly technically disadvantaged I am not sure what is a normal setting or not , so yes with a lot of difficulty for me , I do get pictures taken - sometimes and with a lot of luck.

Any suggestions other than buying a new camera would be mostly appreciated

On the brighter side of things, I'm now forced to go a bit more technical

09-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you check if there is a correction value for the exposure value set? Just press the "+/-" button on the camera and make sure that the value is set to 0.0.
Hope I could help you.
Regards,
David
09-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot imagine how using a different memory card would have any affect on exposure. You are just recording bits of data. This is not film.

If you are using auto and the exposure is too dark then something is affecting the meter to either fool it into a wrong reading or adjust the reading.

The most likely explanation is that you have some exposure compensation dialed in. Make sure this is at zero. Another possibility might be if the ISO has been changed but if you are using auto I don't think you can do that, although I do not have a k100d.

If you are using flash check to see if you have any flash compensation dialed in if this is available on the k100d.

When trying to solve a problem first look at what has changed: are you using the same lens? Have you changed any of the settings? Let someone else handle the camera?
09-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Guys , yes i have been playing around with the camera settings and that is exactly where the trouble started , even restored the factory settings (unless Ive done it wrong) i have checked the exposure value and have changed it back to zero , but am still wary -although the pictures seems ok (only checked on the LCD screen and not computer) Will let you know when I have a bit more time to play around , to see if the problem's been resolved.

Thanks again , appreciate your effort!

09-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To make sure your exposures are correct use the histogram function during photo review.
09-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Have you inadvertently set the metering to spot?
09-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi ,

I did mention I'm blonde? Sorry guys for waisting your time on something so simple.
It was plainly the auto exposure , problem solved perfectly .Mysticcowboy , yes a histogram would've helped if I knew what I was looking at - I really have no clue what so ever about the technical stuff , I just take pictures because I love it , and it usually is a spur of the moment activity

I have however spent some time with my manual last night and as a bonus learned some new features. Cant wait to get out and have some fun!
Have to say it is a lot easier turning to the forum for help than studying the manual - and also a little more fun.

Thanks once again.