Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tatum.brennan. Quote
Ive had my k7 for about a year. Its my number one hobby, although i work 6 days a week. Im getting ready to go to Yosemite in a couple days, and im looking for some good tips or setting tricks to get some amazing shots. I have the kit lens and a zoom lens, which i assume i wont be using as often as the kit lens. Without a wide angle lens im unsure of how to capture the magic that Yosemite carries. I like to shoot and edit to blak and white, but im looking for a good tip on crispness in my photos. All advice is appreciated! An untrained photographer can use all the advice she can get!
Well the magic is you. If we all could shoot the same we would all be... As far as technical considerations glad to help.

Others have it covered well except I would like to add if you shoot below 35mm with the kit lens to put the f/stop up to at least f/8, better f/11. Using a tripod and shooting the kit at f/11 gives you very good IQ! At 35mm and down you can shoot f/5.6 or f/8 for best sharpness or higher.

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-20-2011 at 06:26 PM.
09-20-2011, 03:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Lowell is right, create depth by adding foreground objects.
Position yourself low, near the ground, to add front subjects.

Make sure the oversee a lanscape at dawn and dusk, the long and red light can be magic.

Do not forget to shoot details... A red leaf floating in still water can be as good as any landscape.

Look at the sky, clouds and sunlight trough clouds can make / break a landscape picture.

Morning mist in a valley with a little sun...

Try to know the area and sceneries before nightfall and pick your choice.

Mind the bears....

Bert
As said before, 18mm is for most purposes wide enough.
I'm not a landscape photographer, and have not many pictures on line.
But let me try and show a few examples:

- Landscape with depth:

- Morning mist:

Sky:
09-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I would like to add if you shoot below 35mm with the kit lens to put the f/stop up to at least f/8, better f/11
Stopping down f8 is generally good advice for just about any lens, but especially the kit lens, which does not have very good border to border sharpness (particularly at wide focal lengths). Get the camera on a tripod as well, and try to find something with contrast to focus on.

If you do any panorama stitching, shoot somewhere between 28 to 35mm, as the kit lens performs at its best in those focal ranges, and combined with the stitching you'll be able to create images with a very high resolution.

If you get a polarizer, be careful when using it at the wide end of your kit lens, and don't use it at all for stitching shots. In the 24 to 55mm range, a polarizer is highly desirable for darkening and enriching blue skies. The kit lens struggles to render dark blue and needs all the help it can get.