Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Good idea, but make sure it is not "sized". You should be OK if you source it from an art shop but many make up brushes are treated with a starchlike substance that holds the brush in shape. You don't want any of this gunk on your focusing screen or sensor.

Check out the "Pixel Sweeper" article on how to clean a brush and how to use it for sensor cleaning as well.
Thanks for the tip and warning; I was considering having my wife pick up a make up brush.

09-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #17
Site Supporter

But he is not kidding about it not working if the dust is oily or any-other sticky substance. I have had those type of contaminants on my mirror and focus screen; its somewhat common really. I did a wet cleaning on the focus screen. As another poster said the most delicate part was the sensor but not now as they are protected, true; same with the mirror its protected in modern dSLRs and not delicate. But you never really need to clean the mirror as dust does not show up there. The poster was also right no matter how carefull I was I ruined two focus screens. Funny after buying enough of those things I now take it in and out with no scratches in over 3 years. I would say I have done it over 20 times now and not a single problem yet! Read the manufactors site Visible Dust for all you need to clean all areas in your dSLR. And determine your skill level or better said, your willingness to take a risk and whether its worth it. A brand new focus screen is about $60. So my idea back then was thats the worse that could happen if you at least make sure its latched right.

Remember if you do scratch your focus screen you can still install it and use it until you get another. Its not a big deal. And gives you lots of practise installing and cleaning it. Thats how I can do it now and not scratch. I know what tools to use, have the special tool to hold the screen (it helps, it comes with a new screen).

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-22-2011 at 04:43 AM.
09-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
A brand new focus screen is about $60.
I have bought a new Pentax screen here successfully, a good deal for net of $29.
09-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

It is true that the mirror and the focusing screen are probably the most delicate parts of the mirror chamber and can be easily ruined. It is also true dust can be removed from there without even the slightest chance of damage.

Please remember the piece of dust there was not attached to any of those surfaces with some sort of an applicator. This dust, at one stage, was actually floating around inside the chamber, floating because it is very light and small in volume. So if it floats like a feather it settles on the surface like a feather, do not forget this fact. The only thing it holds it there is surface tension and static and that can vary depending on the makeup of the dust. So if it is as light as a "feather" it can be removed with a "feather" if you understand what I mean.

The reason you cannot remove the offending dust with the rubber ball blower is twofold.
1) The strength of air coming off the end of the blower is actually very weak. You will need a concentrated jet of air pointing directly at the dust which is next to impossible because the nozzle end of the blower dances wildly in all directions as you squeeze the ball.

2) even if you are successful in hitting a jet of air at the fluff full on the velocity of that air may not be strong enough to shift it.

So how do you safely remove the crap. Simple. Buy from you art supply shop a very very soft artists brush. They have them, some are so soft you couldn't tickle a flea with it. Now gently without bearing down brush over the mirror or screen from left to right (or from right to left) in one pass and the offending matter will be gone. It will be stuck on the brush. There is no way there will be any damage left behind. It is simply not possible to do damage with this soft brush.

If the dirt is of an oily nature then the above method will not work, like Salami or Cheese. (Just kidding)

Greetings
Excellent advice, thanks for this.

Regards all.