Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

Dust spots in the viewfinder

Recently I noticed a speck of dust in the viewfinder on my K5.
The rocket blower eventually got rid of this.

However a couple more different specs have now appeared, and these will not budge with the rocket blower

I know from previous experience from having the same 'problem' with the K100D and Kx, that these are only cosmetic, and don't hinder shooting or appear on the images (they are only small spots).

I have the Pentax O-ICK1 cleaning stick, could this be used on the focusing screen (which is where I presume where the dust is)?

Or is it best left alone?

Thanks
Adrian

09-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would leave it alone. Also, touching the focusing screen is a bad idea, very easy to scratch it up.
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I would leave it alone. Also, touching the focusing screen is a bad idea, very easy to scratch it up.
Yep, I've scratched two now; they don't have the hard finish of normal plastic.
09-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
once i didn't get a solid CLICK from the retainer bracket when reinstalling my screen and some days later my screen fell out and into the mirror where it suffered a bad scratch...be super careful.

09-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all, sounds a bit daunting messing with the screen, so I guess I'll be leaving it alone.

Regards
Adrian
09-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be careful with the viewfinder. It also is very soft plastic and can be easily damaged. It cost me $97 to replace the one in my K-x.
09-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

People get their shorts way too knotted up over dust.
Dust is inevitable if you actually use your camera, and does absolutely no harm to the equipment.
OTOH, when I was selling cameras, the single greatest cause of repairs was camera cleaning.
This stuff is pretty delicate, and most of us, no matter how careful we think we are, are bulls in the china shop.
It's funny, really, the parts of the camera that the manufacturer knows will need cleaning on a regular basis are fairly tough, and yet this is the bit that everyone fears touching, but they'll happily try cleaning a soft plastic focusing screen or a front silvered mirror.

09-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, anyone up for a challenge.
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #9

Likewise, using canned air is looking for trouble. You are just as likely to blow dust farther back into the viewfinder (or sensor if using inside the body).
09-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by michalsmail Quote
Likewise, using canned air is looking for trouble. You are just as likely to blow dust farther back into the viewfinder (or sensor if using inside the body).
And it is going to cause what harm when it gets there?
09-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just ignore the dust. Sure, it's annoying but the risk of damaging the focusing screen is much bigger than the benefit you get from cleaning.
09-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks all for the info and advice, it's fair to say that I won't be attempting to clean the screen now
09-21-2011, 04:53 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bychan Quote
Thanks all for the info and advice, it's fair to say that I won't be attempting to clean the screen now
Hi

It is true that the mirror and the focusing screen are probably the most delicate parts of the mirror chamber and can be easily ruined. It is also true dust can be removed from there without even the slightest chance of damage.

Please remember the piece of dust there was not attached to any of those surfaces with some sort of an applicator. This dust, at one stage, was actually floating around inside the chamber, floating because it is very light and small in volume. So if it floats like a feather it settles on the surface like a feather, do not forget this fact. The only thing it holds it there is surface tension and static and that can vary depending on the makeup of the dust. So if it is as light as a "feather" it can be removed with a "feather" if you understand what I mean.

The reason you cannot remove the offending dust with the rubber ball blower is twofold.
1) The strength of air coming off the end of the blower is actually very weak. You will need a concentrated jet of air pointing directly at the dust which is next to impossible because the nozzle end of the blower dances wildly in all directions as you squeeze the ball.

2) even if you are successful in hitting a jet of air at the fluff full on the velocity of that air may not be strong enough to shift it.

So how do you safely remove the crap. Simple. Buy from you art supply shop a very very soft artists brush. They have them, some are so soft you couldn't tickle a flea with it. Now gently without bearing down brush over the mirror or screen from left to right (or from right to left) in one pass and the offending matter will be gone. It will be stuck on the brush. There is no way there will be any damage left behind. It is simply not possible to do damage with this soft brush.

If the dirt is of an oily nature then the above method will not work, like Salami or Cheese. (Just kidding)

Greetings
09-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

It is true that the mirror and the focusing screen are probably the most delicate parts of the mirror chamber and can be easily ruined. It is also true dust can be removed from there without even the slightest chance of damage.

Please remember the piece of dust there was not attached to any of those surfaces with some sort of an applicator. This dust, at one stage, was actually floating around inside the chamber, floating because it is very light and small in volume. So if it floats like a feather it settles on the surface like a feather, do not forget this fact. The only thing it holds it there is surface tension and static and that can vary depending on the makeup of the dust. So if it is as light as a "feather" it can be removed with a "feather" if you understand what I mean.

The reason you cannot remove the offending dust with the rubber ball blower is twofold.
1) The strength of air coming off the end of the blower is actually very weak. You will need a concentrated jet of air pointing directly at the dust which is next to impossible because the nozzle end of the blower dances wildly in all directions as you squeeze the ball.

2) even if you are successful in hitting a jet of air at the fluff full on the velocity of that air may not be strong enough to shift it.

So how do you safely remove the crap. Simple. Buy from you art supply shop a very very soft artists brush. They have them, some are so soft you couldn't tickle a flea with it. Now gently without bearing down brush over the mirror or screen from left to right (or from right to left) in one pass and the offending matter will be gone. It will be stuck on the brush. There is no way there will be any damage left behind. It is simply not possible to do damage with this soft brush.

If the dirt is of an oily nature then the above method will not work, like Salami or Cheese. (Just kidding)

Greetings
I'll be ordering one of those brushes!
09-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I'll be ordering one of those brushes!
Good idea, but make sure it is not "sized". You should be OK if you source it from an art shop but many make up brushes are treated with a starchlike substance that holds the brush in shape. You don't want any of this gunk on your focusing screen or sensor.

Check out the "Pixel Sweeper" article on how to clean a brush and how to use it for sensor cleaning as well.