Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #1

No "clear" pics with Kr and 18-135 lens

Hi everyone...new to the forum and I see it's very informative!

My question:

Bought a Kr (which I like alot) and paired it with the Pentax 18-135 zoom.
Colors are great, auto focus works great, but ALL of my pics are slightly out of focus.
Only slightly but enough to make me GGRRRRR!
Have used the manual focus also with the same results so I don't think it's an auto
issue. Shooting jpeg highest setting too. Yes, have tried single, 5 and 11 point focusing.
Have a Tiffen clear digital filter on the front for protection.

I have used settings auto, p, etc...same results. Close ups arent too bad but
looking for an answer as the pics I take with my Fuji point and shoot with NO
image stabilizer are better quality!!!
Bought this so I could have nice "clear" pics.

Suggestions?

09-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome.
Firstly, take that filter off the lens and try again.
Secondly, do a focus test to ensure that the focusing mechanism is spot on to where it should be.
Finally, ensure your shutter speed is faster than 1/(focal length) and aperture is f/8.
If these things don't sort it out, there may be something else going on - you may need some advice from your vendor/repairman.
09-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
`Could you post some samples with EXIF info?
09-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree that you should probably forget about that Tiffen filter. You also may have a combination of a mis-calibrated focus screen and a need for an AF calibration. The latter is definitely not something to be worried about, as it is a very common and simple adjustment to make. The former can also be a DIY project and is not that difficult, but does require steady hands and a delicate touch. If you are still within your return window, you may want to just exchange it and not deal with it.

09-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Dunno how to do a focus calibration...?
09-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
will try to post some pics...gotta figure out how to do that. can't tonight but will tomorrow. thanks for replies!
09-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not so sure the filter could be having a seriously negative effect. But yeah, try again at f8 and a shutter speed at least the same as the focal length or even better use a tripod. Still not sharp? Try focusing in live view. This uses a slightly different way of focusing, which is slower but more reliable even if the lens isn't calibrated correctly. If it's a lot sharper like that you may need to fine tune the focus calibration.

09-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by New Englander Quote
Dunno how to do a focus calibration...?
It's in your manual.
09-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
will try to post some pics...gotta figure out how to do that.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-begi...tart-here.html
09-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But try just taking your filter off and shooting at f/8 first.
You might see that it was your filter that was the issue - if not, the focusing might be just a little off if you were shooting wide open (as happens in certain auto modes, leading to limited depth of field and more margin for focusing error).
09-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #11

Original Poster
Took filter off. No change. Went and took pics using AF Fine adjustment all the way from -10 to +10.
All the pics looked the same regardless of where I set the auto focus adjustment.
09-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Took filter off. No change. Went and took pics using AF Fine adjustment all the way from -10 to +10.
All the pics looked the same regardless of where I set the auto focus adjustment.
What kind of light is this happening with?

Have you tried in daylight outside?

Can you post some pics?

I have a K-r and there are FF issues in Tungsten (old bulbs) but thats it
09-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
Pix are taken outside, natural light, sunny/partly sunny days. Inside pix are pretty clear.
Took the AF lens off and put on my old Tokina 35-200 that was on my ME Super (manual focus).
Same results. I'm beginning to think it's not the lens but the 'user' not up to speed. Just think that the
pix should be clearer than they are but could be just me...?
Can't upload pix here with the iPad so will try to post some from the desktop tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Greatly appreciated.
09-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Change the camera focus setting to a single point (preferably the centre), pick a subject with a distinct contrast from the background and try focusing on that. Remember also the area of focus for Pentax cameras are quite large. The red square LED that you see in your viewfinder indicates something is in focus but it isn't the area of focus. The area of focus is about the size of the the bracket in the centre of your viewfinder, and the AF sensor will focus on the area with the highest contrast within the bracket.

Hope this helps,
09-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Post a couple of exemplary images of this problem, including EXIF data and the conditions you took them in (AF, manual focus, infinity focus, close focus, etc.)