Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #1

K7 Manual Mode AE-L annoyances

Afternoon,

I'm new to photography and bought a Pentax K-7

The problem i'm having, and i'm sure its just a setting i'm overlooking, is in manual mode.

When i'm adjusting shutter speed and aperture the AE-L symbol locks on, from there on if i adjust the shutter speed it changes the aperature as well (i can cancel this by pressing the AE-L button, but it does it constantly)

Obviously this gets annoying when i want to stick with either the shutter or aperature i had set!

Hope this makes sense, any ideas?

Ta
Phil

09-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check custom function 5 ("AE-L with AF locked"), it should be set to "1 (Off)".

Last edited by Ole; 09-24-2011 at 12:18 PM.
09-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If my camera is doing that, I have not noticed. That would be bad.

Check Custom Setting 1, #5, AE-L with AF Locked. If it's on, turn it off. That's the only suggestion I have from reading the manual.
09-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yup, she's set to 1!

Still does it!

If i set an aperature of say 4.5 then scroll the shutter dial it displays the ae-l symbol then starts moving the aperature i set...

Doing my head in now

09-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My K-7 doesn't do this, and further reading of the manual suggests it shouldn't be happening.

If it was a stuck button, it would lock exposure in many other modes, except for modes like Bulb and X, so you could check that.

There's two options in the menus to reset to the default settings. One is in [Set-Up 3] and the other is in [Custom Setting 6].

It's not a problem listed in any firmware updates but that's my last desperation idea.
09-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
It definatly only does it in M mode. It will let me scroll through a few shutter speeds, then locks on moving the aperature until i press the damn button. It will literally do it 5 or 6 times moving from say 1/1000 to 1/30

If i try a reset and a firmware update and it still does it, i guess it should go back to Jessops then?

Do i explain the problem well enough, or will they mock me
09-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
Right, just updated firmware from 1.00 to 1.11, made no difference

Here's a little vid to demonstrate (appologies for how crap it is, phone camera)

You can clearly see the AE-L symbol flash when operating nothing but the shutter wheel, the the aperature changing

09-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It must be returned then. The problem seems clear to me; maybe have the manual out to show the store clerk how it's not supposed to do that, or compare to a demo model? I remember returning my P3n because when I tightened the tripod screw, the camera stopped working. The first clerk said not to tighten the tripod screw.

09-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter

As long as you do not suffer from "fat thumb syndrome", the camera must be messing up. Get an other one.
12-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #10

Original Poster
Just so everyone knows, i returned my K7 and its been repaired, they replaced the whole e-dial electronics i'm told.

Very odd!!!
04-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2002gimp Quote
Afternoon,

I'm new to photography and bought a Pentax K-7

The problem i'm having, and i'm sure its just a setting i'm overlooking, is in manual mode.

When i'm adjusting shutter speed and aperture the AE-L symbol locks on, from there on if i adjust the shutter speed it changes the aperature as well (i can cancel this by pressing the AE-L button, but it does it constantly)

Obviously this gets annoying when i want to stick with either the shutter or aperature i had set!

Hope this makes sense, any ideas?

Ta
Phil
Was this really a problem that was repaired? According to page 109 of the K-7 manual what you are described is normal operation. See attached screen shot. Perhaps I misunderstood the problem?
Attached Images

04-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spnny1 Quote
Was this really a problem that was repaired? According to page 109 of the K-7 manual what you are described is normal operation. See attached screen shot. Perhaps I misunderstood the problem?
Zombie thread warning!

Steve