Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #1

Lens not registering with camera

Hi there,

I just bought a 50mm FA 1.4 lens for my Pentax Kr. It worked and took beautiful photos for about a month. Last night, I put the lens on and turned on the camera and there were no numbers registering on my LCD screen. It says F---.

I tried taking the battery out and back in. I tried removing the memory card and back in. I tried MF, AF. Nothing is helping register the numbers. I put my other lenses on and they work just fine, so I feel like it's just the 50mm FA 1.4 lens that isn't working.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this, or is my lens bad? I took immaculate care of this thing so there is no reason for it to stop working on my account! Thank you!!!

Brooke

09-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A simple, easy to fix issue would be the aperture ring of the lens in a position other than 'A' (?).
09-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, make sure you enable the "allow aperture ring setting other than A" option, as then you'll be able to shoot regardless of the aperture setting in M mode

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Another possibility: Dirty contacts. I use a teflon eraser to keep the pins clean.

09-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

There is a small button on the aperture ring you have to push to turn the ring to the "A" position on the lens. Chances are you just slipped out of A. The flashing F-- is telling you the camera doesn't know what to do with the lens. Per the advice above, you can set the custom menu item that says "Use Aperture Ring" to Permitted but that won't change the operation of the lens when not on the A position.

09-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Also, make sure you enable the "allow aperture ring setting other than A" option, as then you'll be able to shoot regardless of the aperture setting in M mode
that fixed my problem also! thanks adam.