Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #1

Tele zoom for motor sports

I am attending the Isle of Mann motorcycle races next year and need a fast zoom to catch the action. What is recommended?
Dudley

09-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i know this may be hard too find... the older version of the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 (non macro) is a fine lens... a tamron 70-200mm f2.8 is also a capable performer.... and readily available everywhere... a cheaper but fine alternative would be the pentax da 55-300mm lens.... best of luck... dave m
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which body are you using? On a k-5, the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 is a great performer because the screw drive speed and AF on the k-5 are better than say the k-x/k-r. If not on the k-5, maybe the Sigma 70-200 USM would be good for focusing on a fast moving motorcycle.

Alternatively, if you're good at pre-setting focus or you plan to set a deep DOF, then the Tamron should be fine. I would imagine the DA* 50-135 or 60-250 would be great lenses too since they are WR (my knowledge of the Isle of Mann is that it's wet quite often).
09-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would also go for the tamron or the sigma if price isn't an issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
The lens will go on a K100D Super for now. As I get more Proficient I will be upgrading to a K-5 or?
Dudley
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Definately not the 55-300, too slow to AF. Sigmas may do, best probably DA*60-250/4
09-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

depends on where you are shooting from and whether you can envision the racing line they will use. If sunny weather, set around f/16 iso 100 and start from 1/500 until can freeze them. Once can freeze, enlarge the f-stop as high as you can to narrow the depth of field and then adjust iso to compensate for the exposure. Unless you are using F/2.8 to blur the background, choose a clutter free spot for background. Panning is wonderful if you can pull it off just that it get tiring after a while and can possibly strain yourself doing so.

09-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dudley Quote
As I get more Proficient I will be upgrading to a K-5 or?
You should upgrade now. After that, even a DA55-300 will do with quick-shift focus being your friend. Not to mention the DA* 60-250. $$$.
09-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
You should upgrade now. After that, even a DA55-300 will do with quick-shift focus being your friend. Not to mention the DA* 60-250. $$$.
I'm an old retired guy and have to watch my money. Buy a great lens and go on the trip...buy a K5 and lens and stay home.
Dudley
09-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a thought, what about renting the gear for the trip.CameraLensRentals.com - Pentax Bodies & Flashes Lens Rentals

Would have to make sure/ have an agreement that they let you take the stuff out of country.
10-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would suggest practicing first with whatever lens you got.
Shooting sports is more on the technique rather than on the equipment although having a good equipment helps a lot.
When I tried shooting fast moving objects with my K100DS, a fast lens using AF isn't sufficient.
I had better results using manual focus or pre-focusing and then following on the shot.
What I shot was more difficult than racing since I tried to shoot dolphins shooting/jumping out of the water (not exactly knowing where they will emerge).
Manually pre-focusing on where you predict they will come out of the water produced the best results since I just click the shutter once they are in the air.
With AF on, the lens would usually rack back and forth in focus if you miss the target. This focus racking will make you miss more shots than using manual focus.
10-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #12

Been there!

A late addition to the thread, but I've been to the TT and found that long isn't everything. In many places you are so close to the action that a standard zoom will do the job. Then, of course, your ability to pan at high speed will become relevant! A long lens is useful for those foreshortened shots as you sit at the Creg with camera in one hand and a beer in the other and the bikes are flying down from Kate's Cottage. You'll also need a wideangle capability for street shots in Douglas of an evening. One thing is certain - you'll enjoy it! Oh, take plenty of memory cards.