Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

card reader

Will a card reader work and open pentax raw photo files, instead of connecting camera directly to the Mac?

09-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dianeden Quote
Will a card reader work and open pentax raw photo files, instead of connecting camera directly to the Mac?
A reader and system software don't care what kinds of files may be on the card. To the computer, a card reader just looks like another drive, same as when you hook a USB cable between camera and computer. The reader won't OPEN the files; it will let you MOVE or COPY them to the computer, the same as if you'd plugged in a cable.
09-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Rico for the reply. I am operating with PS3 in my Mac and I really dislike using the pentax image processing program. PS3 won't open the raw files without this procedure. Any suggestions besides PS5?
09-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photoshop CS3 might be too old to open RAW files from the newer Pentax cameras. I couldn't find definitive information but I think the latest Adobe Camera RAW version that CS3 can use is 4.4.1, which would only work for files from the K20D, K200D, K2000, K-m or anything older than that. That means the K-x, K-r, K-7 and K5 aren't directly supported. I just looked it up, you have a K-7; I think that's your problem.

The way around this is to convert your existing RAW files to DNG, and switch your camera to create DNG files instead of PEFs. The DNG files can be opened by CS3. I know how to do this for Windows but not Mac. On the K-7, the [Rec. Mode 4] menu has a RAW File format option. Just choose DNG here.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 10-05-2011 at 12:23 PM.
09-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adobe DNG will convert them. Look in your applications folder/download it from adobe.
09-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm using PS3 on a Mac and am saving my raw files as dng in camera instead of pef. Any Photoshop that will run on your Mac will read DNG. For files you've already loaded on your computer, Adobe offers a free DNG Converter.

Macs have the option of using Aperture for photo management, which is kept current with Pentax cameras. If you have Snow Leopard or Leopard you can get it through the Apple App store for $80. For free you can use iPhoto, which is also current with pef. Import the images into iPhoto and set it up in Preferences to edit in PS as your external editor. It's the same for Aperture. You can do some editing in program and use Photoshop for extra tweaks.

One more option is to use the Image Capture program to import the files onto your computer, though it's just as easy to connect a card reader and drag the files to your desktop. One thing to remember if you import that way: you will need to delete the images before you remove the card. Then you'll need to empty the Trash to actually delete them, again, do this before removing the card. Otherwise you'll have to get rid of the photos by using Format in the camera menu.
10-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dianeden Quote
You might need update PS3... The update will allow this version of PS to recognize DNG files right out of the box...

If/when you use a card reader you will still need to use Applications > Image Capture to move photos from reader to your hard drive... PS3 can then recognize the DNG files etc etc etc

Link for update: Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Macintosh - look for updates listed under 3 and use latest. Read directions and understand, it's relatively easy and simple... just read directions...

(Note - you will not need the stand alone version of DNG converter it's all inclusive)

Good luck!!!