Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual lenses and light meters

Anyone who uses manual lenses knows that in-camera metering can be tricky and unreliable. I was wondering if a hand held light meter would be a reliable alternative to the in-camera exposure meter.

09-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Reliable- pretty much. Convenient- nope, it takes forever compared to just pressing the green button. Usually a fixed EV shift is enough to correct any shortcomings in manual metering.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As Adam said. Chimping test-shots and adjusting exposure is fast and convenient. One possible exception would be in a situation where light and subject are consistent but you're moving to many different angles and distances, and you want the entire series equally exposed. Then, an incident (ambient) light meter can be useful, rather than taking reflected-light readings. But you can get the same effect by manually metering in-camera, chimping and adjusting till you get it right, then locking-in that exposure for the series.
09-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch or Android phone there are some inexpensive light meter apps that are easy to use.

09-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now that's an interesting idea....need to check it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch or Android phone there are some inexpensive light meter apps that are easy to use.
09-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Using the Green button and knowing your lenses is probably a better way to go...

For example when my Pentax-M 40mm 2.8, when the Green button at tells me 1/180th then I shoot at 1/125th or 1/90th as I know it consistently under-exposes slightly on the K-x...
09-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Do you find the over/underexposure consistent among manual lenses at the various f-stops?
09-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I did some rough tests on this awhile back and determined that each lens is consistent at various apertures. But a different lens may act completely differently. That said a 1 to 1.5 ev adjustment will allow you to use Av mode on most Takumars and come fairly close. Set it , take a test shot and adjust, when you are happy just go with it. There is unfortunately some variation with different apertures as well. Some lenses will be dead on at one aperture and under-expose by 1 to 1.5 stops at the other end of the range.

The best advice, if you want to use Av mode is to know your lens. Otherwise use the green button (or a/v button on k-x) and meter for each shot.

09-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
find the over/underexposure consistent among manual lenses at the various f-stops?
Cant speak for others,but do find a small varience lens to lens and f-stop to f-stop.
Overall exposure value of scene is a large factor also,goes up/down accordingly.

Dave and Jatrax covers it well,use green button/Tv shift for speed and EV comp
for same reason.In addition, using EV comp is kind of like a "note to self" in that it
allows me to remember where things are should things get crossed up on E-dial.
Generally, my "A" version manual's are real close in matrix, numbers Jatrax has
are very close to what I found with "K"s and "M"s using center weighted.
RioRico and his camera monkey make a great point,
does help to "chimp"around a bit to get to where you want to be.
09-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Which one are you using? I tried Light Meter on my iPhone 4 and the results are deceiving. My K100D is contantly underexposed by 2-3stops when used with data provided by Light Meter.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
09-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

There is really no mystery. Using a uniformly lit wall shoot using green button to set exposure at each aperture detend. Measure greyscale value at the peak ofmthe histogram

This will give you the exposure error Ideal exposure is about 110-120 greyscale with each 40-45 greyscale being 1 stop over a +/- 3 stop range

The moral is know your gear