Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #1

Wireless Flash - I confused

I had a play trying to do some smoke photography with my K-r and a friends Canon 7d. We set up one camera facing the incense (not using flash) and then other to the side which we used the flash on. Then we did the 1-2-3-fire thing to try and sync up. It worked ok, just took a lot of takes. I then started to look online for a wireless flash and now I’m really confused. For what we did you don’t want the flash on the body to fire as this would like up the background so from what I can tell I can’t use a slave flash as this needs another flash to fire to trigger it. Is there a wireless trigger inbuilt in the K-r? If there is what is a cheap flash (I’m just playing around and can’t afford an expensive one) what would work, if not I see there are transmitters that go on the hotshoe, is there a cheap recommendation for one of these and a flash to work with it.
Thanks for any help.

Also here is a photo we took:

09-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are using the Pentax AF540FGZ or AF360FGZ, use the one camera flash as controller. The controller will emit a small flash to trigger the off camera flash but not enough to light the scene.
09-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, are there any cheaper units that aren't too bad, as those are way out my price range.
09-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Use a trigger... I use Cactus V4's (although V5 now available from Gadget Infinity...) and get good results and range... Know plenty of people using cheap ebay triggers and having lots of fun...
Yongnuo are also worth a look... My first set were YN-04's (£13 2years back) and they are still in my light bag should the Cactus set fail... + the YN560 is a very capable flash...

09-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In a shot like this, the flash can be the light source and shutter. If your ambient light is low and background is dark, you can skip the trigger completely. Put the camera in Bulb mode, press the shutter, set off the (external) flash, close the shutter. Lots of things can make this easier, adaptable to other shots and more repeatable: a flash with manual adjustable power levels, maybe even a flash with a zoom head, a trigger, a remote release for the camera, etc.
09-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
How about using a sync cord?
09-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DevKom Quote
How about using a sync cord?
I shoot a K-x which has no sync port... I believe the OP's K-r is also without sync port...

09-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I shoot a K-x which has no sync port... I believe the OP's K-r is also without sync port...
There are hotshoe adapters that sit on top of the camera and provide a PC socket.

However, if you're not going to use a Pentax flash (you said that the AF-540FGZ was out of your price range), watch out for the trigger voltage. This is voltage that is present across the flash's sync contacts when it is charged and ready to fire. Some flashes, particularly older manual ones, can have trigger voltages of 200-300 volts, which is enough to fry the electronic synch circuits of your camera.

This is an advantage of radio triggers, like the cactus units mentioned earlier. There is no direct connection and no danger of voltage damaging your camera. They also eliminate long sync cords that can be tripped over, possibly pulling a camera and tripod over.
09-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to get a cactus set, and then need to find a flash in my price range. Having a very quick look I'm thinking of one of the YongNuo units.
Cheers
09-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smilesy Quote
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to get a cactus set, and then need to find a flash in my price range. Having a very quick look I'm thinking of one of the YongNuo units.
Cheers
I find the YN560 very easy to use and consistent in output...