Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vass Quote
Hi, Just gone through the DOF Master Hyperfocal Chart and gained a little knowledge on 'Hyperfocal distance'. Thanks to Hambino for posting the link. My doubt is, I'm using older lens on my Pentax K-r and I was told that I've to use a multiplication factor ,1.5(don't know exactly what's this, why to use and by what name it's called). So, say, my 50mm lens become 50*1.5=75mm. In this case which length should I consider? whether 50 or 75??
Regards,
Vass.
RioRico explained it well. The field of view changes, not the focal length. Assuming that you used the dof calculator that I referred to, they also clearly state

QuoteQuote:
Use the actual focal length of the lens for depth of field calculations. The calculator will automatically adjust for any "focal length multiplier" or "field of view crop" for the selected camera.
Maybe a picture says more than a thousand words and here are two that I found
post #32 on https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119867-equivalent-field-view-3.html
post #8 on https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/132694-some-about-...-negative.html

Both images show that only part of what the lens 'outputs' (the circle in the first link) is picked up by the sensor.

Hope that those make it a bit clearer.